Hairline cracks

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turkish

Hi,

I recently patched up a doorway in my wall by screwing a timber framework within the existing door frame and then screwed plasterboard to it so the face of the board finished flush with the existing surrounding plaster, I then scrimmed the joints between the existing wall and the plasterboard and then skimmed over the whole wall. The framework was extremely secure but now I have a hairline crack in the skim that follows the outline of the doorframe. Would there have been a better way to prepare so it wouldn`t have caused a hairline crack?

Thanks in advance

Timber has probably shrunk I.e. Dried out.
Not a lot more you could do.
Once timber is fully dry just put a bit of filler in and sand it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timber has probably shrunk I.e. Dried out.
Not a lot more you could do.
Once timber is fully dry just put a bit of filler in and sand it

That`s what I thought BigK. Just wondered if there was a better way to prevent this from happening. Cheers

That`s what I thought BigK. Just wondered if there was a better way to prevent this from happening. Cheers

Yes you could have used paper tape and compound first, let that dry fully before skimming. I have done this many times and no cracks,you could also substitute the scrim for hessian with the compound on top then skim with fibres thrown in the first coat.

Hi,

I recently patched up a doorway in my wall by screwing a timber framework within the existing door frame and then screwed plasterboard to it so the face of the board finished flush with the existing surrounding plaster, I then scrimmed the joints between the existing wall and the plasterboard and then skimmed over the whole wall. The framework was extremely secure but now I have a hairline crack in the skim that follows the outline of the doorframe. Would there have been a better way to prepare so it wouldn`t have caused a hairline crack?

Thanks in advance
Yes you should have taken the door casing out.

Last edited:
Yes you could have used paper tape and compound first, let that dry fully before skimming. I have done this many times and no cracks,you could also substitute the scrim for hessian with the compound on top then skim with fibres thrown in the first coat.
Thanks James can you give me the name of the compound you use?

Yes you should have taken the door casing out.

Did the op not take the frame out???

I'd taken that as a given.
Other post is correct in that you could have used paper tape instead.

Did the op not take the frame out???

I'd taken that as a given.
Other post is correct in that you could have used paper tape instead.

seen soooo many builders that dont... DIY'er fair enough... but builders need to give their head a shake

I've lost count the amount of times joiners/builders have blocked up door ways and left the frame in. I always tell them if you leave it like that you'll get a crack or you can pay me the extra to do it properly. Funnily enough they seem happy to have it crack

Status
Not open for further replies.