Hairline cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

adapt

Hi lads i have been looking at a job with hairline cracks, i don't want to open the cracks up too much so i was thinking of maybe mixing some cement and sbr into a paste and greasing that into the cracks.

Just wondering is that the best way or just use a tube of poly.

I know some painters use external filler but i don't know if thats any good.

anyone else got a better way?

Hi Adapt,

What size are the hairline cracks? We sell a crack bridging paint with guarantees to fill up-to 0.3mm, it does do slightly large but the guarantee stops there. The product is: Revital colour AG follow this link for the tech sheet:
http://www.pftcentral.co.uk/docs/Acrylic_Facade_Paints.pdf

Let me know if you need anymore information

I have used that paint and its good.

If not then certainly not easy. Very fine then exterior polyfilla. But find out the source of the cracks first as they might re-appear.

Is this a job you have done?

Hi,New to this site, agree with rigsby,find cause of cracks if its a ceiling you may find there is no scrim over joint. if thats not possible good quality decoraters cork is your best bet.let it dry and rub down with a fine sand paper.

Hi,New to this site, agree with rigsby,find cause of cracks if its a ceiling you may find there is no scrim over joint. if thats not possible good quality decoraters cork is your best bet.let it dry and rub down with a fine sand paper.

Hi obboll41 great advise if you weren't in the rendering section

Hi,essexandy,your right just noticed cmt in adapts query. Could be his only option is a good quality bridging paint

Well to me it looks like poor render, its a modern house and the external walls have hairline cracks basically following the blockwork beds.

i aint done it, just looked at it whilst pricing other work.

i personally think it was poor render or that have one coated the house as the houses around it are full of cracks, its on an estate.

paint might fill the most of them but if frost gets in behind the cracks its going to get boxy.

I just thought a nice thick paste of cement and sbr might be the best answer then a few coats of sandtex?

i will chase the worst out with a multi-tool with a diamond blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.