Hairline cracks in old plaster

Members online

JUK

Hi,

Currently renovating a 30's property which has been wallpapered literally everywhere! I've ripped the wallpaper off and as I suspected, there are some issues with the wall beneath. There are no hollow areas so I don't think the plaster has blown, but there are lots of hairline cracks that don't seem to follow any particular pattern.

I think I already know the answer to this question, but are the walls salvageable or does it need to be skimmed?

If it needs skimming, what's the best way to prep the wall so that the cracks don't cause any future issues? I've done bits of plastering in the past with decent results, so I'm happy to give it a go myself but equally happy to get a pro in if necessary!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2364.jpeg
    IMG_2364.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2365.jpeg
    IMG_2365.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 91
Give it all a tap if alot is lose hit it off and see what you’re left with, you’re employing a plaster then, if not try and fill it and paint it best you can it’s you’re money

Hi,

Currently renovating a 30's property which has been wallpapered literally everywhere! I've ripped the wallpaper off and as I suspected, there are some issues with the wall beneath. There are no hollow areas so I don't think the plaster has blown, but there are lots of hairline cracks that don't seem to follow any particular pattern.

I think I already know the answer to this question, but are the walls salvageable or does it need to be skimmed?

If it needs skimming, what's the best way to prep the wall so that the cracks don't cause any future issues? I've done bits of plastering in the past with decent results, so I'm happy to give it a go myself but equally happy to get a pro in if necessary!

Thanks in advance!

Either hack it all off and start again (best way), second best (mesh it), third best scrim cracks and fill/skim.

You’ll keep second guessing yourself if not careful as lots will be blown and if you hack off the obvious bad bits you’ll usually end up with a few ‘islands’ on the wall.

Depends on your pain threshold and budget.

Put paper back up
Fair suggestion, but having spent the best part of a week hacking it all off, I'm never going near wallpaper again! :muyenojado:

Thanks for your replies folks - I think I want to avoid hacking it off so may give the mesh a go. There's just too many cracks to fill and scrim.

Is there any in particular you can recommend or will any render mesh do the job?

Also, is it best (in your experience) to bed it into the first coat, or staple it on beforehand as I've seen suggested elsewhere?

Cheers!

Last edited:
cancel your sky tv, cancel your mobile phone, stop drinking/smoking,
take everythng off back to brick, and employ a plasterer ,
it only has to be done once

Fair suggestion, but having spent the best part of a week hacking it all off, I'm never going near wallpaper again! :muyenojado:

Thanks for your replies folks - I think I want to avoid hacking it off so may give the mesh a go. There's just too many cracks to fill and scrim.

Is there any in particular you can recommend or will any render mesh do the job?

Also, is it best (in your experience) to bed it into the first coat, or staple it on beforehand as I've seen suggested elsewhere?

Cheers!

I was on a job recently where they’d skimmed all the old walls. Had to take a bit of skirting off and about a foot of plaster just dropped off with it.

I understand and I'm grateful for your points, genuinely! As I said before I'm definitely not averse to getting someone in if I need to, which I plan to do in the living room where the finish is important.

However, I've plastered whole rooms myself (only ever my own property) and because I took my time, prepped the walls properly etc, the finish was better than I could have hoped and more importantly, lasted over time.

That being said, you are the experts and if you think that all the options above are beyond the skill set of a diy'er, (albeit an experienced one :p) then I'll get my coat!

If not, I'd love some advice on materials etc so I can crack on, starting with a small unimportant cupboard!!

Cheers

Cheers!
Always best practice to bed it into the first coat,I wouldn’t staple it,if you don’t want the agg or not the time to bed it into the first coat,then pva the wall and while it’s still tacky put the mesh on and use a roller or spatula to flatten it and get any air pockets out

Reactions: JUK