Hack offs

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jgreenplastering

Private Member
Just wondering what people do to protect window and door cills.
Sometimes we get clients who've had new doors and cills fitted and then the hack off happens before re-rendering.

We usually try to fix sheets to cushion the fall Or tape insulation if we have it lying around.

We put protective tape on once rendering starts but it's no good to flying concrete!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dust sheets will do nothing, 6mm hardboard cut to fit and taped all around the perimeter of the frames, strips cut and taped to protect the sills.

Dust sheets will do nothing, 6mm hardboard cut to fit and taped all around the perimeter of the frames, strips cut and taped to protect the sills.

We've always pinned a sheet to the underside of bell cast and frame and then roll the excess onto the Cill and tape. Never had any issues.

Like the sound of the hardboard though easy to cut and fix.
What about the glass? Do you just leave that?

Corrugated sheets doubled up dropping over the sill so you have a gap between glass and the back of the sheet, gap is important as it takes all the force out of it, s**t hits the sheets and rolls off over the sill.

Tape across top and down sides or staple if the windows are already fooked

Having a drop over the sill allows stuff to slide straight off so not catching the sill or damaging it

Last edited:
Corrugated sheets doubled up dropping over the sill so you have a gap between glass and the back of the sheet, gap is important as it takes all the force out of it, s**t hits the sheets and rolls off over the sill.

Tape across top and down sides or staple if the windows are already fooked

Having a drop over the sill allows stuff to slide straight off so not catching the sill or damaging it

Where do you buy the sheets and what do you cut them down with?
The gap on the side from where the sheets goes over the sill do you put a piece In there and tape it on?

I use protection sheet polythene and taped to the frames. The sills get two layers of tape. We use 9mm sheets of ply leaned up over the windows and other protrusions like gas flues and soil pipes.

Awkward to get covered area's like inside corners of bay windows may get rolled up poly bags taped to the sill.

In 35 years I have (or rather my lab) broken 3 sills. On the two plastic sills I was lucky enough to get away with plastic padding and paint and on the wooden one a good joiner took off the sill and screwed on a new one.

All the above accidents was where a debris bounced off the scaffold and travelled to where we was not working.

Covering up windows with poly is a pain and I usually have to do it. But in summer if you have cement on glass long emough you will get acid etching. Had that once on an aluminium patio door back in 88, covered up since.

I've been lucky over the years I've had some hear dos.
But In 2014 I got caught out by a stray lump that fell on an orangery glass roof and cracked a panel, cost me an arm and a leg to replace it as it was leaded in, about 800 quid in the end.
6mm marine ply where ever or I have rolls of foam 100mm wide that screeders use that we use for cills, parked cars near by or dust it's all hazards on a domestic project.price it all into the job.

We put protection film on the windows then cut ply slightly bigger than the opening, plug and screw it. Gaffa tape ply to the cills.

Used to use the 6mm Corex but after chipping window glass on a job never again, spend the money on ply now.

Where do you buy the sheets and what do you cut them down with?
The gap on the side from where the sheets goes over the sill do you put a piece In there and tape it on?

You get them from Selco mate...don't bother with it though you get a big lump with a sharp end at the right trajectory with enough gravitational force and it will go straight through.

remember reading on here about someone who hacked off and destroyed all the double glazing that had just been fitted :D

Status
Not open for further replies.