Gypsum and stainless steel

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardbrown

Private Member
Hi guys,

Having just fitted stainless stop end beads in my front room then floating out with hardwall and skimming I see on the web it says not to use stainless beading when using gypsum.

Any ideas why?.

I used s/s thin coat beads on my own house 7 years ago skimmed with multi, then painted and all is still good.:)

Stainless are designed for cement renders mate. just because they are stainless it doesn't mean thay are. They have different alloy levels and can corrode with gypsum but probably wont. You should have learned it in colledge.

Stainless are designed for cement renders mate. just because they are stainless it doesn't mean thay are. They have different alloy levels and can corrode with gypsum but probably wont. You should have learned it in colledge.

Yeah rich you should of learnt that at college mate.

done loads of work for large house builders who used to spec ss beads in kitckens and bathrooms,, should be fine,, never heard of any one having problems with them

Yeah, thicko , shoulda learned in in colledgee :RpS_laugh:

I was told never to use stainless steel internally, i know all uk bead manufacturers state s/steel beads shouldn't be used internally in conjunction with gypsum based plasters.
Yet i think all European bead manufacturers say its fine even if using gypsum.
Maybe @BritishGypsum could clarify.

Last edited by a moderator:
maestroplasterer might have a point. catnic say "Stainless steel beads can only be used with gypsum based plasters if they receive an additional protective coating which must be provided by the purchaser" got a box of that orange scrim from catnic a few weeks back and its crap. threads on both sides and literally tears as youre dispensing it. cant beat silverscrim. hopepiss sells it in his new shop.

why did you use stainless beads inside? are you a millionnaire?

Never heard that one before:confused:

Not sure why you want ss inside your house , but be carefull , bead prices are dirt cheap now and the price of metal is still going up , so some thing is not right , had a problem with galvs inside last year , no back up from expemet at all , in fact it was my fault , beads are not as rigid as they were especially ss render beads .

maestroplasterer might have a point. catnic say "Stainless steel beads can only be used with gypsum based plasters if they receive an additional protective coating which must be provided by the purchaser" got a box of that orange scrim from catnic a few weeks back and its crap. threads on both sides and literally tears as youre dispensing it. cant beat silverscrim. hopepiss sells it in his new shop.

why did you use stainless beads inside? are you a millionnaire?
Used the orange Catnic tape the other week thought it was very good

Got catnic scrim and very happy with it as sticks very well , I don't mind loose edges. 1 sec to rip two thread off.

life's too short, man. the first roll seemed okay. it was nice and tacky and didnt thread. until about a quarter of the way in. fcuked that off. second roll not only threads on sides but tears in middle, same with the third, and the fourth. must have just got a shite batch. absolute crap. silver scrim will always be my favourite. but think theyve stopped making it ffs. just existing stocks. someone must be able to invent a good tape ffs. use the 100mm from drywall tools direct and its perfect.

life's too short, man. the first roll seemed okay. it was nice and tacky and didnt thread. until about a quarter of the way in. fcuked that off. second roll not only threads on sides but tears in middle, same with the third, and the fourth. must have just got a shite batch. absolute crap. silver scrim will always be my favourite. but think theyve stopped making it ffs. just existing stocks. someone must be able to invent a good tape ffs. use the 100mm from drywall tools direct and its perfect.

That silver scrim stunk though.
The jrt extra sticky from r&j is about the best around at the moment.

One of the irish lads had a good tip which was to cut around both sides (edges) with your knife as if you were cutting a pizza but thin slices. Works a treat.

One of the irish lads had a good tip which was to cut around both sides (edges) with your knife as if you were cutting a pizza but thin slices. Works a treat.

aye, that was SPREADS. i tried that but cut my hand with the stanley and had to gaffer tape it. wonder if you could just plaster over gaffer tape :RpS_unsure: you do over plastic beads.

I used stainless 15mm stop bead as they were for my fireplace. Just had a woodburner fitted with a stainless flue, handles etc so wanted to see an edge of a stainless bead against the slate.

Yeah maybe I need to go back to college you cheeky cont lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.