gyp-prime

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

brimplas1

any body use this ? is it better than just pva ? I have a ceiling to skim that was skimmed by a d.i.y-er several years ago and has never been painted so think it will suck in like a bugger..

any body use this ? is it better than just pva ? I have a ceiling to skim that was skimmed by a d.i.y-er several years ago and has never been painted so think it will suck in like a bugger..

Let me know how it is if you get some. Always wanted to try that stuff. Knauf do an equivalent too.

I used gyprime about 6 years ago great for high suction control! It will go for miles I diluted it 3 to 1 done a massive house with 3 tubs reskim over hardwall great bonding etc ! Suprised its not easily available as at the time when using I was constantly raving about it even give some of the diluted stuff away to a fellow spread.

Trouble with it is the price, although if you water it down which you are supposed to it works out reasonable. If you are a plasterer brimplas1 then you could mix at 4-1 and throw in a little wba from Wickes to give a key and use the rest of the tub on other jobs.

Last edited:
Trouble with it is the price, although if you water it down which you are supposed to it works out reasonable. If you are a plasterer brimplas1 then you could mix at 4-1 and throw in a little wba from Wickes to give a key and use the rest of the tub on other jobs.

yes i am a plasterer bud, will it kill the suction that much i would have to put a grit it before skiming.

Call me thick if you like but would it just not be cheaper and easier to mist coat the ceiling with some emulsion. Couple coats of pva and skim it.Would that not work?

yes i am a plasterer bud, will it kill the suction that much i would have to put a grit it before skiming.

Im not sure if i would risk it although in theory once dry you should be able to skim straight onto the gyprime, it must be designed to not kill the suction completely but i think is more for floating on afterwards rather than skim.

the ceiling is 17m2, but of course the silly chuffers have had a new kitchen fitted, tv on the wall, american fridge freezer, karndeen flooring..... ive thought of mist coating it but aint sure how long to leave it before skimming it and what the bond will be like as ive no nailed skirting on to fresh paint before and some came off and brought the paint off..

the ceiling is 17m2, but of course the silly chuffers have had a new kitchen fitted, tv on the wall, american fridge freezer, karndeen flooring..... ive thought of mist coating it but aint sure how long to leave it before skimming it and what the bond will be like as ive no nailed skirting on to fresh paint before and some came off and brought the paint off..

What about Artex sealer.....hr tops and your good to go

What about Artex sealer.....hr tops and your good to go

ha ha ha i was looking at that in b and q today, may do a test wall on my next job to see how much it holds it back. ive used it years ago when doing some artexing for a mate but artex takes years to go off any way....

I have mist coated a ceiling in a similar situation to yours. Due to my first suggestion to overboard and skim, that was not to the customers liking. So I gave it a real pissy mist coat just to seal the suction from the old multi finish pva x 2 once the paint set and it wont take long. Then plastered it. At the end of the day we have all skimmed over plastered ceilings that have had several coats of paint on and never thought it wont bond. I have seen jobs where they don't apply a mist coat and just slap emulsion on and we all know it will all peel off with a scraper a few years later. The job I did was over 5 years ago now and its not fallen off yet. I know this because it was a friends house that I visit on a regular basis. You have plenty of options my friend, but its down to you to decide which one you use

Status
Not open for further replies.