Ground Floor Bathroom - Render or dot and dab?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

spark2010

Hi

I have recently been asked to do a small groundfloor room that will be a bathroom. It
has all been hacked back to the brickwork everywhere. Problem is the bricks are all
over the place. In parts, especially the bottom of one of the walls is about 6 inches less
than the rest of the wall, so its going to have to be built out to the existing. its like this
everywhere in the room, when you put a level on one of the walls ,some of the bricks
are touching the level and others are about 4 inches off.

Is this a normal render job? screeds, scratch and top coat? How will the bottom of
that wall i was talking about be built out to the existing bricks? Surely you cant
build out 6 inches of render?

Or can I dot and dab the room instead?

Thanks

Thanks mate,

Twin skin? how do i know?

also

If I dab it, the wall that is way off (wall is prouder that the bottom by about 6 inches) then
where will the dabs go at the bottom?

ask the customer if its brick inside theres a good chance its single skin with no cavity youre better off rendering the external walls or if youve got space stud it cellotex and use foil back board if its twin skin just double dab the worse areas

ya but the bottom is kicking in on one wall. this is my point here?
could i now screw timber into the bricks then screw timber into that to build the bottom out level
with the existing bricks?

you could build the worse areas out ply it eml and sand cement the lot wouldnt be much slower to stud it though and fix board ..............have you asked the customer if they want a rustic look and just go with it or does it have to be perfect ?

gypline is a system where you fix runners to floor and ceiling and rails between these, don't have to fix to the wall. its the way i would go. google it, you'll like it.

spunky said:
you could build the worse areas out ply it eml and sand cement the lot wouldnt be much slower to stud it though and fix board ..............have you asked the customer if they want a rustic look and just go with it or does it have to be perfect ?

Eml ::) ::)

Thanls for replies,

I think the dabbing option is better. I will build out the bottom of the wall
with dri-wall adhesive and plasterboard (keep layering the boards and adhesive until
flush with wall.

After I clean down bricks, do i need to pva before dabbing?

Status
Not open for further replies.