green moisture board

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckoon

hi all, I am doing a bathroom, and it will be part tiled, part decorated. If I use the green moisture board, can I plaster it prior to tiling, and if so what sort of adhesive should I put on it? cheers, alan

cheers, madmonk, but what sort of bonding agent, i saw somewhere that pva would not be advised. don't know why.

Was doing a sports centre years ago with with massive walls above swimming pool, so was done in sections, large areas below had no bonding agent on and got a lot of splashes of stuff on them, they were no less stuck to the board than any other sometimes pulling paper off to remove them.
I've never used a bonding agent since....
But that's just me ........

If its only a small area go to wickes and buy there 3kg bonding agent it is similar to thistle bondit and around £16 or find a bag of unifinish or Durafinish and skim the boards with no need for bonding agents.

If its only a small area go to wickes and buy there 3kg bonding agent it is similar to thistle bondit and around £16 or find a bag of unifinish or Durafinish and skim the boards with no need for bonding agents.
I assume its the same as the bluegrit stuff then? coat with it, then multifinish as normal

Firm I used to sub to has done close to a thousand new build units for one volume house builder over the last decade while never priming a single sheet of m/r board with not 1 reported failure.
Firm Im subbing to at the moment insist on a quick coat of sbr.
Bond-it seems like overkill.

Believe it is really a total gray area myself. Never used it on the MR board but do remember a Clark of works telling us we had to use it once on a job in Surrey, the contracts manager said to just have the tub by the work and skim it when he wasn't around. Never had any issues with not using it.

MR board has a slight waxy finish on the board surface. I have seen skim just she'll off this board untreated. As said, treat with thistle bond it as the spec but other bonding agents will be fine.
If tiling, I would tile straight onto the board, this will give a better hold for the tile, skimming it will negate the MR properties in the board so you may as well just use normal board.

Hope that makes sense.

MR board has a slight waxy finish on the board surface. I have seen skim just she'll off this board untreated. As said, treat with thistle bond it as the spec but other bonding agents will be fine.
If tiling, I would tile straight onto the board, this will give a better hold for the tile, skimming it will negate the MR properties in the board so you may as well just use normal board.

Hope that makes sense.

Bollox.
Skimmed miles of it.
If any has come off its not because of a lack of bonding agent.
Put some skim on a piece of MR and try take it off.

Bollox.
Skimmed miles of it.
If any has come off its not because of a lack of bonding agent.
Put some skim on a piece of MR and try take it off.

If you believe what I said is bollox you need to actually learn why you are doing what you are doing.
MR board is not designed to be skimmed, it is designed to be tiled directly onto or tape a jointed.
There is absolutely no point skimming MR board as the moisture resistance will be lost.
Back to school for you.

If you believe what I said is bollox you need to actually learn why you are doing what you are doing.
MR board is not designed to be skimmed, it is designed to be tiled directly onto or tape a jointed.
There is absolutely no point skimming MR board as the moisture resistance will be lost.
Back to school for you.

And that I agree with completely !!

Back to school for the architects / engineers!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.