good plasterer

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bravo!..... Try a 20" marshal town to flattern coats b4 troweling up with your normal trowel :RpS_thumbup:

Lets get on the bat phone to nailswater and sort this discrepancy once and for all.Anyone wanna start a meterage sweepstake ?

OK, look at the video from 4:20. He puts his trowel down near the camera and takes about 15 small steps from front to the back of the room.

Each of the steps are no more than 0.5m, thats 7.5 m from front to back.......buts lets be generous and say it's 10 metres.

The width of the narrowest part of the room he gets in 3 strokes, he is too low on his stilts so I will be generous again and say that width is 4 metres.

That makes 40 metres tops (probably more like 30), but there is an extra bit on the left side of the shot. He gets that in 1 stroke, so could be between 5 and 10 metres.

So in summary that ceiling is between 35 and 50 metres and the labourer is walking to and fro, feeding him from the ligga.

Still a good effort but if you worked with me I'd like to see a much better system to the way you put on and trowel up, putting on both sides of the room and then filling the middle just isnt the way to do it.

OK, look at the video from 4:20. He puts his trowel down near the camera and takes about 15 small steps from front to the back of the room.

Each of the steps are no more than 0.5m, thats 7.5 m from front to back.......buts lets be generous and say it's 10 metres.

The width of the narrowest part of the room he gets in 3 strokes, he is too low on his stilts so I will be generous again and say that width is 4 metres.

That makes 40 metres tops (probably more like 30), but there is an extra bit on the left side of the shot. He gets that in 1 stroke, so could be between 5 and 10 metres.

So in summary that ceiling is between 35 and 50 metres and the labourer is walking to and fro, feeding him from the ligga.

Still a good effort but if you worked with me I'd like to see a much better system to the way you put on and trowel up, putting on both sides of the room and then filling the middle just isnt the way to do it.

Whats the best plan of attack DM???. If i cant reach the middle from the edges i go up the middle first.
on the sweepstake front i reckon 45m2...........any advances???????/

Whats the best plan of attack DM???. If i cant reach the middle from the edges i go up the middle first.
on the sweepstake front i reckon 45m2...........any advances???????/

Thats one way of doing it, but I prefer to start at the wall and pull a strip. Then turn my back on my work and pull a strip working into what I just put on, then pull another strip with you back to that. Does that make sense?

What I mean is, that you should have your back to what you have just put on, so the nose of the trowel sweeps into the wet joint, leaving less lines.

Thats one way of doing it, but I prefer to start at the wall and pull a strip. Then turn my back on my work and pull a strip working into what I just put on, then pull another strip with you back to that. Does that make sense?

What I mean is, that you should have your back to what you have just put on, so the nose of the trowel sweeps into the wet joint, leaving less lines.
I hear ya marra...........al give that a bash next time av got a canny ceiling on.................:RpS_thumbup:

That means you've got 2 edges drying :huh:

It doesnt take long you chuck a strip up the middle and jump on in from the edges......Just the way i was taught and how av always done it.........but am always up for new ways of doing things marra......:RpS_thumbup:

Last edited:
38m2 tops and I'd agree it was a strange system to use but as long as the finish was good that's not a problem but working that way makes it harder to walk right through the ceiling when trowelling up.

something that big i usually pick the phone up and get my mate to do it and pay him half the price :RpS_biggrin: elbows cant take that much :RpS_blushing:

Just the way the light falls mate, so I was always taught to trowel ceilings parallel to the window, or the largest window if there are more than one and they're on different walls.:RpS_thumbup:

I was taught to trowel towards the largest light source if possible, cuts down on ripple effect....not that there are any ripples in my work, it's bloody perfect. Or at least appears so.

I was taught to spread across the joist direction, not along it. That way, especially on overboarding, you can cover any bumps caused by out of level joists. ie. if you were to go the other way there would be voids/trowel marks....

Just the way the light falls mate, so I was always taught to trowel ceilings parallel to the window, or the largest window if there are more than one and they're on different walls.:RpS_thumbup:

Just how I was taught bubbles. I was told the idea was to help show any defects up they can be trowelled out so there are no surprises when the lights go on.

I was taught to spread across the joist direction, not along it. That way, especially on overboarding, you can cover any bumps caused by out of level joists. ie. if you were to go the other way there would be voids/trowel marks....

Yeah primarily what you said, but "if possible", ie. the ceiling is flat, then towards or away from the light source.

Just how I was taught bubbles. I was told the idea was to help show any defects up they can be trowelled out so there are no surprises when the lights go on.

Yeah, and natural light is the best thing for showing them up, which is why I try to place lights in the windows to replicate that light on darker days. I usually move a light around all the light positions at some time during the trowelling up as well :RpS_thumbup:

well to be controversial, not that I consider myself to be,

I will work all the edges left to right then fill the center, always have always will.
If its a massive ceiling then the same but will gauge everything to a rolling set of 2 or 3.
If your talking ripples/ lighting to hide stuff then your doing it wrong.

Rock on !

Oh no the forums gonna go into deep thinkin quote meltdown.... I'm outta here!!! Leave it out Dannymac don't encourage it:RpS_lol::RpS_lol::RpS_lol:

If your on stilts you should be able to do up to an 8ft sweep in one go then the same the other side meeting in the middle no need to do 3 sweeps on a narrow ceiling just wastes time & energy. Pull into the middle from both sides job done :RpS_thumbup:
But like essexandy says as long as the finish is good that's all that matters really.

Last edited:
it took 27 boards to tak hardly any waste its 13m by 4.5/5.8 really hard to size from vid ,dont be bitter guys lets see what youve got money where mouth is and all that.as for i could have used better method it came out perfect. dont talk about it show me.

http://sandonplastering.co.uk/Light...llsize/internal-plastering-34-w700x500_fs.jpg
http://sandonplastering.co.uk/Light...llsize/internal-plastering-35-w700x500_fs.jpg

80m2

I don't think anyone was being bitter moosh but there are quite a few on here with loads of experience of methods and estimating areas. As some of us have said we use a more traditional pattern/system of working but also that as long as the finish is good then there's no problem.
You also need to realise that to just turn up announcing your arrival as you have there will be a bit of ribbing/baiting, but there really are very few bitter blokes on here.
Nice vid by the way.

Big pat on the back mate, i dont think anyone is being bitter ffs its only skimmin a lid after all

Status
Not open for further replies.