Good job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianspreader

Alright landed a job skimming boards 2.7m high 2000sqm at £4 Sqm .does the price sound good? What Would you lot expect to do?. First big price job so looking forward to it also suspended ceilings which is a bonus

Yep. Gizza job!
We just did one at over £3.00 sq m and I heard at the time that was a decent rate. Guys i know are skimming at a lot less.

£4......happy days!!!

Last edited:
even then you would make it pay most firms supply and fix at 3.50m2

thats fairly common in yorkshire aswell, i know of a few decent size outfits going in at 3-5% profit margin or less, on the insides.Glad I have nothing more to do with site plastering. I was going in at £4.50-£5 supply and fit 5 years ago on decent size projects.

So...are you skimming over boardwork thats already been done? Or is it fix then skim. (sorry you threw me with 'fit')

We are just skimming what some one else has dot n dabbed sounds bit to good to be true starting Monday will see what it is like lol

Ewwww, I hate skimming other folks boarding. 99% of the time it's sh1t, screws not driven in, drywall all over the boards.....the list goes on.

This is the sort of sh1t I mean, I encountered this just the other day, and had to sort it. :RpS_crying:

20120703094404.jpg

even then you would make it pay most firms supply and fix at 3.50m2

**** that Gary I'd never supply for anything like as low as that, total waste of time.
Beads, scrim, plaster, labour, an allowance for putting right shoddy work because there hasn't been enough money in the job to pay a decent rate in the first place and profit. All out of £3.50?:RpS_scared:

Oh and yes I do win a large percentage of the jobs I price.

Last edited:
This is the sort of sh1t I mean, I encountered this just the other day, and had to sort it. :RpS_crying:

20120703094404.jpg

sounds like a goodun Ian...i'm on £3 at the mo..5.50 float n set...workin on a site in bicester, big project 30 odd units to do, old m.o.d refurb...started today, board work was like this which really does amaze me being on site...i don't get how this kinda shite gets passed when our work gets scrutinized to the nth degree....so yeah lost a set this morning F*****g about bonding out boardwork runnin 20ml shy of the door casings, gaps all over the shop, i could on...then i get the prick site agent tellin me i should be hittin 80 odd metres a day..i turned round and said well give me 80 metres that can be skimmed then..and i'll do 80 metres...instead of half the day correcting shoddy workmanship...its basics really boardwork thats what amazes me

Yer I spotted the mod work going on. The job i am on is good but the other trades holding it up price work is always a bit of a nightmare never straight forward lol

**** that Gary I'd never supply for anything like as low as that, total waste of time.
Beads, scrim, plaster, labour, an allowance for putting right shoddy work because there hasn't been enough money in the job to pay a decent rate in the first place and profit. All out of £3.50?:RpS_scared:

Oh and yes I do win a large percentage of the jobs I price.
iam talking about large firms with big turnover andy

Hmmm £4 eh?!? I'm taking £10 per metre. Builder fixes. no dodgy work, all tight. I give him a first class job befitting of a good rate. :RpS_thumbsup:

iam talking about large firms with big turnover andy

I know the sort of firms you're on about Gary, but they have even more non producers to pay for than small/medium sized business's. Not sure if you're still with the same outfit that I was asked by to go for an interview for an estimators job but they were offering 33K basic. I also know for a fact they get contra charged left right and centre. Just how does that all come out of £3.50 a metre?

sounds like a goodun Ian...i'm on £3 at the mo..5.50 float n set...workin on a site in bicester, big project 30 odd units to do, old m.o.d refurb...started today, board work was like this which really does amaze me being on site...i don't get how this kinda shite gets passed when our work gets scrutinized to the nth degree....so yeah lost a set this morning F*****g about bonding out boardwork runnin 20ml shy of the door casings, gaps all over the shop, i could on...then i get the prick site agent tellin me i should be hittin 80 odd metres a day..i turned round and said well give me 80 metres that can be skimmed then..and i'll do 80 metres...instead of half the day correcting shoddy workmanship...its basics really boardwork thats what amazes me

are yoi getting less for the floating because the boardings shite or are they there usual rayes?

20120703094404.jpg

thats good compared to a lot i go to lol

ive just done supply and fit 4 boards and skim for £260, i had to cut round a window and 3 sockets though grrrrrrr

Dannymac who did the boarding? and did you have to skim from the board and over the papered bit?

The builder boarded it, we always have to spend at least half a day sorting their work out. We just price it in now. We had to strip that paper off, finish boarding the ceiling and reskim.

If it wasn't for my cheapo screwfix impact driver, I would have had a right shock on this job too. While putting extra screws in their sh1t boarding I went through the ring main, how I hear you think........well, because someone did this.

20120703094722.jpg

I would be telling the builder that he - and whichever fukwit boarded it - could have been up for manslaughter............plus the 'electrician' who ran the cables under the joists :-(

Last edited:
ffs why is there so many billy bodge jobs out there at the mo ts no wonder joe public dnt trust trades people nowadays

Large firms going in at 3.50? They are laughing their tits off behind the subbies backs who believe that shite.

Large firms going in at 3.50? They are laughing their tits off behind the subbies backs who believe that shite.

Steve you're so right. I've priced sites up against some big outfits (in fact one of the biggest) and have won the jobs with prices far and I mean far higher than the £3.50 Gary quoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.