Goldtrowel Plastering NVQ level 3...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikek

Hi, im just wondering if anyone can tell me about goldtrowel and if they can get you through the hole NVQ level 3 that includes on-site assessment...i was told you have to be working in the field as an NVQ is a work based qualification...ive also heard they can do the hole thing at Goldtrowel...can anyone help please??

Mike

Do a search , this has been covered on numerous occasions, if you can be bothered all the info is already there !!
Welcome to the forum by the way

Ive done a search and it reads like it tells you what you want to hear...ie £2895 for an 8 week course..but theres nothing for the months it might take after that of on-site tests there might be notching up the £££ so ive called them and now im asking for neutural advice from anyone thats been there....thanks for the attitude tho pal!

In Manchester...not close to Goldtrowel haha...so thats why im trying to do my home work on it...they do sound very good though!

The reason for wanting to know all this is because i'm emigrating to oz next year and i want the NVQ level 3 to go over there with...I know i'd need over 4 years working experience and im going over on my girlfriends visa so i dont need the qualification to go over there with...it was just to help with employment over there...just wanted to know if someone else has done this course before and can advise me on it...

have you tried goldcomb they will give you nvq3 in artexing 500 quid and it only takes a day:RpS_thumbup:

The reason for wanting to know all this is because i'm emigrating to oz next year and i want the NVQ level 3 to go over there with...I know i'd need over 4 years working experience and im going over on my girlfriends visa so i dont need the qualification to go over there with...it was just to help with employment over there...just wanted to know if someone else has done this course before and can advise me on it...

You will still need to be assesed once you get there to gain your ANVQ (think its called) might be worth looking into getting that qual over here which is gonna cost you around £2000 but from what ive read its not a walk in the park like the NVQ.

Hi m8

Ive been over in Oz plastering this year . My advice would be to go over and get work as a trowel hand (you'll start as that or a labourer in oz as most i spoke to said english expereince counts for nothing as its differnet materials, techniques etc) then once you've worked with Lime Putty, Texture coating (Acrylic paint), Sand Finish and normal floating (all internals are 99% floated in s &c) Id go and do your AQFIII which is the Oz version of an NVQ Level 3 in oz. Lads i know who've learnt the new ways did the course in 2-3 weeks.

You wont have much trouble getting a start as most just want to see you can use a straight edge and a trowel... heard many a story of lads going over thinking there the dogs and not working how they show or tell you and have been finished on site in hours ... Sure the AQF is about 2K but id go for it that way imo

In Perth where i went there was work but the prices have dropped alot... trowel hands are on prob £110 a day and lads floating roughly £160 a day rendering 80 + metres a day .... the techniques are different and the bottom line is you start again from the bottom due to how they do things ...

Ive done a search and it reads like it tells you what you want to hear...ie £2895 for an 8 week course..but theres nothing for the months it might take after that of on-site tests there might be notching up the £££ so ive called them and now im asking for neutural advice from anyone thats been there....thanks for the attitude tho pal!
Nothing to do with attitude, (take a look at the sig) it's a case of this same question being asked week in weeout, all the responses are there in black and white, if you can be bothered to read through the many threads and responses , now if you really do want to get on in this game , which is probs one of the toughest trades out there then you need to stop looking for short cuts , so like suggested, do a search and don't expect to hear what you want to hear,

Thanks for all your replys people! Helps a lot :) You have a good point adamd...I was wanting to do the NVQ level 3 over here then go over there with that and get the AQF cert 3 as well...thinking it would give me the head start, but if its totally different over there then it wont be much of a head start I gues...
no

And I do agree with you (warriorupnorth) and I don't really agree with people taking short cuts into professions...but its the only way to get into it these days!!! There's no apprenticeships around these days is there???!!! Plus i'm 31 now so it kinda makes sense for me to go down this road with the fast track NVQ's....

adamd...I've heard that ozzy solid plastering is totally different to the English way of it...it seems to be mostly rendering...and I thought I could learn that in the NVQ level 3 to get me a head start...getting my AFQ cert 3 is what I want to get mainly :RpS_thumbup:

Basically if you were to apply for a permanent visa you have to have your skills assessed by TRA in Oz ... they factor in all your work experience and quals ... you have to write massive amounts about jobs youve done here coupled with pictures etc , work refs , wage slips etc etc .. whereas they dont demand an nvq 3 it would help if you havent the job experience as they are fickle on who they pass and without quals you need to of served an apprenticeship and have the evidence to back this up

If you can get over on your partners visa then id go on that and once youve had 6-12 months onsite do the aqf3 over there , cheaper and i know the test involves floating walls, plumbing up etc then skimming with Lime putty .

If anything the speed at which they make your work and to a immaculate finish you'll soon be up there with them .

Yes most work is rendering , internals, external and the use of Acrylic paint - teach a monkey to do that though lol - sand finish is just a stronger s&c mix and then after its ruled and patched they use a fine hose and a sponge float to rub up thus bringing the sand to the surface .

Amazed me that all corners etc are done free hand unless the customer or architect spec'd angle beads but to be fair the lads i worked with were some of the best ive ever come across . Lime putty in the heat is good to work with but you have to be near perfect laying down - one house i worked on had a massive lounge ... 2 of us throwing on (one at top and one at bottom) then another lad following after the 2nd coat finishing up as time isnt a luxury with the heat of summer.
Acrylic paint you have to leave wet joints whereever you finish with your trowel and again a lad literally following behind you rubbing in with a plastic trowel due to the heat.

Is money to be made but like anything you have to start from the ground up again as too many think they can go over and just go into finishing ...

Thanks for your time and input adamd its a great help...I know I want to be able to do a job properly and learn as fast as possible due to me being 31..so Thaks where my thinking an NVQ level 3 would help but also knowing its going to be like learning from scratch again over there to do the AQF cert 3....

Can you tell me if i can get an on-site cscs equivalent card over there without having the cert 3 first?? Maybe it depends on which state?? My girlfriends family are in Brisbane...but we can only apply for Perth or New South Wales for the residency visa...then once were in we would have to stay there for a few years before finally moving to Brisbane

No problems m8 - glad i can help

Oz version of the cscs is the white card ... yes you can get with no quals... its all done online and you cant actually fail it. Perth is a white card state but a few others arent if i remember correctly

The 2 gangs i worked for laughed when i said i had it and that its a waste of time, some firms do ask for it though . lmk when your gonna do it and i can dig out the website i did it on as it was pretty cheap compared to most.

From my understanding plastering materials and techniques vary from state to state so brisbane might be more in line with how we do things but i cant be 100% sure.

The other plus is all tools are supplied by the lads you work for, trowel and hawk is all thats needed, they supply the drills, big mixers etc, rules and anything you need, i nearly paid 200 notes to get my skywalker 2 stilts over there but no ceilings are skimmed really, all taped and jointed but thats a diff trade as is coving . i kept my finishing trowel for the lime putty and the lads all buy Tyzack cheapish trowels for rendering due to the way they clean out corners and drag and excess away from the wall ready for the labourer to come behind and barrow it back to the mixer.

Thats awesome :D I think your right about waiting until i get over there to take a course because its money i dont need to spend on an NVQ if i never come back to England...Do you know if the AQF cert 3 qualification would be valid over here in England if i ever came back...or would i have to take another assessment to convert the qualification to an NVQ to work on-site...

Hey adamd...do you know if Ventain marble plastering is done in Australia? Is it a big deal over here??

i thought mabey you was dan as you havent reallly been on here in a while:RpS_wink:

haha nah I am still here every day :) I dont post much these days as I am busy trying to drive the forum forward and get deals and what not sorted out :)

I have also been doing a little bit of waving at walls :)

Thanks for your time and input adamd its a great help...I know I want to be able to do a job properly and learn as fast as possible due to me being 31..so Thaks where my thinking an NVQ level 3 would help but also knowing its going to be like learning from scratch again over there to do the AQF cert 3....

Can you tell me if i can get an on-site cscs equivalent card over there without having the cert 3 first?? Maybe it depends on which state?? My girlfriends family are in Brisbane...but we can only apply for Perth or New South Wales for the residency visa...then once were in we would have to stay there for a few years before finally moving to Brisbane

you can't plaster are you going over as a labourer

Hey adamd...do you know if Ventain marble plastering is done in Australia? Is it a big deal over here??

Couldnt comment on marble plastering m8.. stuff i used was just s&c. lime putty and Acrylic paint for texture coating.

you can't plaster are you going over as a labourer

he will not last the first day! can you see any piece work team putting up with this?
it does not matter what pieces of paper you have in you hand ,if you can not cover your wages you will not succeed. you just be getting in the way of plasterers trying to earn a living.

Got to learn somewhere though right?? Thats what the majority of next years is for... to learn and get good...and don't be telling me it takes years to master lol...i know you can nail the techniques in months...people i know have done this and im improving quick...stop kicking new people to the trade down!! You might be crap for all i know!

Got to learn somewhere though right?? Thats what the majority of next years is for... to learn and get good...and don't be telling me it takes years to master lol...i know you can nail the techniques in months...people i know have done this and im improving quick...stop kicking new people to the trade down!! You might be crap for all i know!
LOL you wont learn fucka ll in 12 months with that attitude, from the beginning of this thread you have tried taking shortcuts and thats before you have a trowel in your hand lol Forget plastering just go over on your missus visa and get a job doing something else it will save you time and probably money.

You can learn the techniques quickly but to master them takes the time....

As long as you understand what you meant to do and how to do it takes practice... very like playing a musical instrument.... There are plasterers on here who are 20+ years and still refining techniques...

However, as I said before until companies can take on new trainee spreads there is nothing that you can do other than go to college/GT... But go over on your missus visa :)

Bar work is well paid in Darwin and I mean like £12phr Jane was getting :)

Danny

PS Good Luck and let us know how you get on

Takes years to master

See...this is the state we're in now.

Young uns watch someone skim, or are told how to do it and they think they know the trade.
They actually charge money when they know fcuk all.

Market is flooded with these guys.

Muppet

Status
Not open for further replies.