Goldtrowel or Ableskills?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a Roofer and been subcontracting for a couple of years and making about 18000k per annum! I want to get into the plastering trade and start my own business mainly in the domestic market. I cant afford the time to do a 6 week I.C.A. so i'm considering a 3 week course with Goldtrowel in which they registrer you for OSAT or a 3 week course with Ableskills in wich I'll get city & Guilds units. Do any of you know of these courses and there reputations? Any other tips on starting out?

I know alot of the chaps on here have gone down the goldtrowel route so you'll probably get a few recommendations from them - I'm personally off to ableskills in January to do their brickying C&G course and all I can tell so far is they were extremely helpful over the telephone - not a particularly helpful response in terms of what you need to know but I thought id throw in my 2 cents regardless ::)

I've got a mate who did a weeks course with able skills and he really enjoyed it. He was very pleased with what he had learnt. I do not know of anyone that has been to gold trowel so cannot comment on them i'm afraid.

What standard can I expect to reach after 3 weeks? I've got a little experience of rendering and patch repairs through roofing work. Am I expecting to much to start up in the domestic market straight after the course? my plan is to charge £150 per day plus materials. If I get anything to much I'll put in a daft quote! I think there's a gap in the market round here (Cumbria).

IMHO Its impossible for any course to totally prepare you. Try to get some jobs for friends and family to build your confidence/experience. If you did quotes for roofing you'll know each job throws something at you and you need to be able to assess the problems and how to deal with them. Eg different backgrounds, best materials etc. And when it goes wrong you need to know how to sort it too.
Just to be devils advocate if I did a three week course in roofing could I go straight into business?
I've also tried to give daft quotes to lose a job I don't want and it's bitten me when they come back wanting it done. If you want to do it for a business you don't want to get a bad rep.
You can of course ignore me and I wish you all the very best and everyone on here will give loads of free advice. :)

Hope I didn't come across as rude. Just saying it like I see it.
As I say I wish you luck with whatever you decide.

Please love me...... :'(

No, you never came across as rude. Thats what I was after...Honesty from people in the know. Thanks again, ............................. about loving you.............'U complete Me' lmao. ;D

Hi All

I did a 5 days course and just went for it on some artex ceilings, totally f*@ked them up, so i then managed to get in with a local plasterer, i have been with him for 3 months plastering most days, i am now to a good standard, just not as fast as him,

My advice is to do some friends rooms and it you can do some days with a local plasterer.

Good Luck

Gaz

Im suppose to be off to ableskills in january, but having second thoughts(well this is my third thought hence the reason im here) so im having 3rd thoughts about wether to try them or goldentrowle : /

I will do a 6 week course either way, and then if anyone could put me in touch with a plasterer in south east london(greenwich area) Would really really aprreciate it!!!!

Happy New year to you all

Sean Hamilton ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.