gold trowel

Status
Not open for further replies.

routs

Starting the Gold trowel 10 day certified course in april, any advice prior to staring would be appreciated, cheers routs.

Good Ole boy,

mention me when you see them...lol

Just listen to what they have to say and and dont play around with the gear tosh it on quick and walk away...lol

you will be fine.

Danny

Nope,

it works there are many good spreads out there due to 10 dayers.

Learn the basics apply them you stand half a chance. Plastering is not rocket science its about timing.

every wall / ceiling is different but then laying it on is stil the same.

Danny

PS Welcome to the forum ;)

Drink 10 pints before you start your course and another 10 at your lunch break. The plaster applies itself then asif by magic !? :birra:

Danny you've got to be kidding mate ?

I know of 3 guys that have done gold trowel and not one of them can leave a satisfactory finish.

I've just finished rendering an extension, and did as much of the internals as time would allow then went on to other stuff that was booked in, A chap came in and finished the kitchen and the finish was the worst ive ever seen,even other trades passed comment, The contractor paid him (the rate i may add) the customers came back off holiday and have had most of it over-skimmed within 2 week of being home. He was a copper that did a 2 week course at gold trowel then left to be a plasterer full time.

I'm not bothered about folk doing these courses as it keeps myself and others busy putting it right,and ive never felt threatened, but the unbiased truth is gold trowel doesn't produce plasterers.

I took a gold trowel lad with me and on the first day he asked me why I was putting pva on the wall's
He had nvq level 2.
Second day couldn't be left to skim 8x4 sheet plasterboard .
Third day =me on my own again.
I might have been unlucky don't know .

I took a gold trowel lad with me and on the first day he asked me why I was putting pva on the wall's
He had nvq level 2.
Second day couldn't be left to skim 8x4 sheet plasterboard .
Third day =me on my own again.
I might have been unlucky don't know .

Had a few like this.

Come along with all the confidence (not a bad thing) and the big I am, the teacher on the course said I'm special. Then comes out with a question like that - or worse. You're like what..... Are you f@#/^ng serious .... what are you paying them for...

Gimme £4k I'll tell you you're a God at it and you're now ready to go and £250 a day!

Fuc&!^g jokers.

They're an INTRODUCTION at best.

Really?? Was looking into doing the marble plastering course there! Any feedback? Has anyone done that course at Goldtrowel!

I have worked with some that have been perfect and also worked with others that are shite...

The training is a good platform to build on in my opinion... I drop in and see them often and some of the finishes are better than what I see at some of the colleges are producing.

Courses have very little effect on the industry in my opinion

Some have natural ability and can turn their hand to most tasks within the building industry with time spent and an understanding of the materials they are using. But note (time spent).
Others are kack handed and struggle with simple tasks even with guidance and repetitively fuk up no matter how much time given its just not for them.
Nobody should be let loose on the general public after a 10 day course though or be told they are proficient enough to do so , is a recipe for disaster.

I done.the 3 day at gold trowel bot 9 years ago.

Reason i went was. Got taught by a domestic bloke and after a year i wanted to see how i compared and if i was being taught right.

@darrell id say the marble course be a good option if you can already plaster.

Short courses are good if you want to pick up another aspect of the trade.

For a complete beginner id say wouldnt bother
Gave me the confidence boost i needed.
After the 3 days looking back if say none of the blokes on the course could plaster.

Yeah been plastering for about 16 years now but really like the look of the marble finishes and the challenge of doing something new..plus the Mrs has got her own ideas

Really don't think you can learn a trade in 10 days when my uncle did his apprentiship he was 5 year apprentiship and 2 years as improver before you was a plasterer and to be able to do all the aspects of plastering well I think this is right

I think they do say at the course that they recommend to go and work for established spreads to gain real knowledge however it's less and less who is interested to take anyone on.
You can learn basic things in 10 days, then life will teach you the rest

I did 6 weeks course was told I could
Go out on my own and all that jazz. Didn't want to I knew I didn't know enough, got in with a firm been with them two years now A good
Quick standard. I think the course is good for time on the trowel getting used to using the tools you will never learn a trade on a short course it just doesn't happen they can't prepare you for every thing you come across as a spread, my advice take in as much as you can on the course, get some hand tools, join a firm as an improver. Best thing for you. Good luck

Hi mate I did a a marble course 7 years ago with goldtrowel in Essex.i found the course good for training but only let down being I had to work on small boards which I know other companies let you on small walls and after doing jobs myself wish I'd been trained on smaller walls appose to small boards.i know you have to start somewhere but that's my opinion.id try marcopolo personally and there products are lot better and tend to work themselves more,your see what I mean once you've been trained.all the best mate.:)

I done.the 3 day at gold trowel bot 9 years ago.

Reason i went was. Got taught by a domestic bloke and after a year i wanted to see how i compared and if i was being taught right.

@darrell id say the marble course be a good option if you can already plaster.

Short courses are good if you want to pick up another aspect of the trade.

For a complete beginner id say wouldnt bother
Gave me the confidence boost i needed.
After the 3 days looking back if say none of the blokes on the course could plaster.

Likewise

Did 2 or 3 years with a couple who were time served learnt enough used gt to refine my skills.

Both the plasterers I worked with were time served but one was sooooo rough it was incredible :-\

Hi mate I did a a marble course 7 years ago with goldtrowel in Essex.i found the course good for training but only let down being I had to work on small boards which I know other companies let you on small walls and after doing jobs myself wish I'd been trained on smaller walls appose to small boards.i know you have to start somewhere but that's my opinion.id try marcopolo personally and there products are lot better and tend to work themselves more,your see what I mean once you've been trained.all the best mate.:)

its all big rooms now :)

That's what it needed mate as training was spot on.probably like yourself I got to do around 6 boards of different finishes it was just wall areas I'd liked to have done.:)

Those marble courses must be laughing all the way to the bank.must be thousands of guys out there leaving those courses thinking the work will flood in.
I bet most never do any jobs at all.
It's like with every course it works for some, but majority of people will never use any skills they pick up.

I have heard that the marble course is supposed to be quite good but I have not done it I got a fee hints and tips from a time served spread I know that does it and then played indoors
Still need a bit more practice but Andy at gold trowel is always happy to give advice even though I haven't done the course
Only done my bathroom and a couple of other walls in it but at some point I might do a short course in it just to play a bit more as I don't want it everywhere at home lol

I want to learn more venetian as I dI'd a week but spent more time taking photos and blogging than listening.... so the next one I do I won't be blogging as much :)

Nope,

it works there are many good spreads out there due to 10 dayers.

Learn the basics apply them you stand half a chance. Plastering is not rocket science its about timing.

every wall / ceiling is different but then laying it on is stil the same.

Danny

PS Welcome to the forum ;)
Plastering is about knowing what you're doing then applying it
That is if you've got half a f**k**g clue about life when you work for a living and have to repeat this in somebody else's house

HI. I learned plastering fromm my uncle but one of my lads went on this course before he came to us and he is okay. A lot of people knocking it but probably not training any youngsters up themselves I would guess. Only my opinion

We all start somewhere in life andif you give the kids a chance if they will stick it if they are of a mind to and any good or walk away if they are lazy or no good.

We all start somewhere in life andif you give the kids a chance if they will stick it if they are of a mind to and any good or walk away if they are lazy or no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.