Going over new and old backing plaster

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billvis

Newbie alert, so please be gentle. Not looking for the online equivalent of being sent out the back for a tin of tartan paint/bucket of steam :)

Recently went self employed, having done a fair bit of board n skim and render on cemboard on timber frame buildings (carpenter by trade originally, got roped into spreading somehow, along with other less high status trades ;), so backing plaster knowledge very limited.

Got a wall to sort as part of a larger refurb job. 60s house, all brick. Skim coat was very loose and came off just looking at it. Top half of wall's scratch coat was loose, so removed it, bottom half stuck like s**t to a blanket, plus there's a rad on it.

I've put tough coat on the top half last thing today (cos I had some) and keyed it. I was going to micro gobetis the lot in morn, put a thin coat of bonding on once micro dry (4mm or so thick), bed mesh into it and scratch. Then skim up with multi once colour changes.

Am I barking up the right tree here?

Cheers in advance

Newbie alert, so please be gentle. Not looking for the online equivalent of being sent out the back for a tin of tartan paint/bucket of steam :)

Recently went self employed, having done a fair bit of board n skim and render on cemboard on timber frame buildings (carpenter by trade originally, got roped into spreading somehow, along with other less high status trades ;), so backing plaster knowledge very limited.

Got a wall to sort as part of a larger refurb job. 60s house, all brick. Skim coat was very loose and came off just looking at it. Top half of wall's scratch coat was loose, so removed it, bottom half stuck like s**t to a blanket, plus there's a rad on it.

I've put tough coat on the top half last thing today (cos I had some) and keyed it. I was going to micro gobetis the lot in morn, put a thin coat of bonding on once micro dry (4mm or so thick), bed mesh into it and scratch. Then skim up with multi once colour changes.

Am I barking up the right tree here?

Cheers in advance
Sounds good.micro is nice to skim on

Yeah i know it was for cracking i more meant why would it crack? Is it just a preventitive measure for future or is there a reason the bonding coat would be liable to cracking? Im sure silly question but just wondering.

Just thought it'd tie both the backings together. Plus I got 90% of a roll left over from a rendering job :)

It seems to have worked well. I love the micro, but it was taking a long while for the bonding to go off.

Just gotta force out some air blisters before I leave for night, that seem to have come from the deviling. Any tips anyone, both to prevent and to get rid once occurred?

Ta

Just thought it'd tie both the backings together. Plus I got 90% of a roll left over from a rendering job

Ta

No worries mate not contradicting was just interested if it was common practice when bonding over different substrates. Im not a plasterer so dont know much just have an interest.

Yeah over bonding works well for unifying most surfaces but be careful in some cases ie going over damp treatments with bonding would be a disastrous school boy error

Sand and cement then skim your over complicating a simple job that might bite you on the arse using the wrong materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.