Glass fibre

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt02

Had a spread helping me on a job today, plastering a dodgy diy'ers attempt at boarding on battons. Springy as hell.
Anyway told the diy'er that the boards are pretty flexable and the plaster is not.
He said no probs just plaster the room... cool.
My spread goes to his van and brings back some micro glass fibre and says this should give the plaster a bit more strength and chucks a handfull into both mixes.
Came up a beauty and could'nt see any fibres on the walls.
Now I've used glass fibre in screeds and renders but never in multi.
Any one heard of this or done it, I was impressed.

no mate, i tell you what i have heard of though, you're dumped!

like you say in render yes, in skim no. was it just very fine fibres?

I've never heard of it in skim!! Did you not see any fibres at all then matey? I would have thought that some would trowell through at some stage?

yep i use them a bit there are ones made for skimbut you have to be old school and use 2 mixes put them in your first coat only top as normal cant see them great on re skims as an added thing for re cracking etc

Is it proven to prevent cracking or is it only a suggestion? I would have thought that the fibers would make the finish a little tougher, so in that sense it seems plausible?

i once meshed a whole ceiling that a customer was concerned about with TV10 just put my first coat on... embedded the mesh and lay in over the top of it... no probs at all

Status
Not open for further replies.