getting electric shocks whilst plastering

Status
Not open for further replies.

johniosaif

Private Member
Hi, I used to get a few shocks due to walls and ceilings coming alive due to a fault somewhere and the electrics not been earthed, the worst shock I got was while holding a straight edge straightening a wall, the shock nearly tore my shoulders out. recently sites seem safer, but a couple of weeks ago ,one of the guys got a mild shock while scrimming, turned out someone had hit the cable in the ceiling with a screw and as the boards were foil backed all the screws in the ceiling and walls all became live, I found it bizarre but it was the case, luckily we had not started banging plaster on..

On a site the electrical supply should be fully protected by RCD's (residual current device). If this had been the case it would have detected the leakage on the circuit and tripped out. Also should trip if someone gets a shock!

LOL, had a couple of trowels blown out of my hand before, makes a nice hole in the edge too.
And it makes yer nuts ache like furk :-0

Had a few, loosening sockets,switches. Old boy I used to work with said it was good for the heart!!! Always a tad apprehensive now, usually get the boy to do it:RpS_wink:

I have a nick name of "FLASH" due to getting a few shocks when I first started labouring....lol

Danny

Had a few, loosening sockets,switches. Old boy I used to work with said it was good for the heart!!! Always a tad apprehensive now, usually get the boy to do it:RpS_wink:

Clarkys my circuit tester...........bless him...........he has quite a loud audible tone...........:RpS_thumbup:

20120703094722.jpg

I nearly got one from this when putting a few extra screws into an already boarded ceiling.

My cheapo Erbaur screwfix driver saved me.

My nickname was Sparky, been hit a few times. Best one was in some barn conversions into offices. Open sided before the windows went in I was stood on scaffold pushing Kingspan into the ceiling joists whilst a thunderstorm raged directly outside. Lightening was overhead and the static from it shot across the Kingspan and into my hand. It tingled a bit afterwards. Have had mains voltage up my arm before and the odd light socket give me a nip. I get shocks off shopping trollys quite often as well just to add insult to injury. I'm always wary of electricity but not scared of it as its never done me any harm (looks for some wood to touch).

Was doing kitchen walls few months back, kitchen was out and first fix electrics had been done. Was on my hop up when i was plastering round the wire coming out wall for extractor. Must have brushed it with my hand and i fell back into gorilla tub of plaster. The spark had left it live and not taped it, **** myself. Apprentice was pissing himself.

Reminds me of a kitchen I did once, lad who did the sparky stuff left a socket live (reckoned he hadn't). I floated over it and it made a lovely fizzing sound.

I was in a house in leek and nicked a wire. Just stood there feeling it pulse trying yell but i just made a strange aaaaahhhhh type noise and couldn't let go of the trowel. I was working with a lad named john and he just stood there pointing and laughing. Cheers john. Haha.

worked on an extension a few years back and was told the whole rooms dead as there all new cables so dnt worry, "oh and those wall lights have been bought out the wrong side so just push then in and ill get them out the other side" no worries well every switch socket and wall light was live and i got stuck to one clable physically couldnt let go labourer had to kick hop up out from under me so i would drop off the cable.
got electrocuted at least 7 times that day:RpS_cursing:

think i've mentioned this before, but avoid shocks on your left hand. Sparky mate of mine told me, he used to fix tv's and they had to hold their left hands behind their backs. If you get a shock through your left side it will go to your heart. That's a bit of your anatomy you don't want current to go through.

think i've mentioned this before, but avoid shocks on your left hand. Sparky mate of mine told me, he used to fix tv's and they had to hold their left hands behind their backs. If you get a shock through your left side it will go to your heart. That's a bit of your anatomy you don't want current to go through.
q

Thats right mate anywhere on left arm goes straight through the heart.same as the left arm feels tingly when you have a heart attack they say. Somthing to look out for

I got a wee belt when I was screwing a blank cap onto a radiator pipe a while back. Told the lady, she said thats strange we have just had the house re wired. So she phones the sparky that did the work (he arrives in ten minutes flat) he says its impossible that I got a shock as all the pipework is earthed. He touched the pipe and the walls and says naa mate its fine. I said ok mate but you can tighten up the caps. He gave it half a turn and went "aaaarrrrrrrr yyyyyaaaaa fuuuuuuu*******KKKKKKKAAAAA". Naturally I pissed myself. Took 4 sparkys all day to find out what was going on.

95% of Sparky's are arrogant pricks that think they're above the rest of us. Worst i had was on to of the head from a wall light cable while skimming a staircase wall stuck to it and nearly bit my ******* tounge off all they said was "well it should'nt be live" NO IT ******* SHOULD NOT, but could have killed me cos there heads are so far up there own arses they can't be bothered to double check and make sure everything safe, (too much of a rush to get home and finger there own bums) I worked for a sparkey and got qualified in my mid 20's F*****g hated it some of the things i saw ang got asked to do were shocking (no put intended) always crawling in insulation moving wardrobes and pulling carpets and floor boards up then having to put it all back to do a socket for a few quid. THE GRASS IS NOT ALWAYS GREENER. Plastering has it's down sides but so does everything at least we're talented

LOl.............my mate is a 'plumbtrician' (qualified in both) He was crawling under a floor about 18 inches high and took a panic attack, started trying to smash the floorboards up with a hammer and screaming for me to get him out. I dragged him out after a pause, he was sweating so much he looked like he'd just got out of the bath :RpS_laugh:

I seen sparkies working on live wires with insulated snips.. One sparky wires a big barn conversion we did but ran out of neutral wire so used live wire for the neutral s well - had to go round testing with his multimeter to make sure he was wiring everything up right.

Status
Not open for further replies.