Gave it my first shot today. Far worse than I hoped but also better than expected. Massive respect to you you guys and I'm excited to learn

Members online

Thickslick

Pretty much what the title says.

Just been quoted 7k to get my house done. Figured I can either balls up a wall, book myself onto a week course for a few hundred and save some cash or... Pay one of you to do it and learn the basics whilst at it.

Turns out I'm s**t, who knew? You did. Correct.

Think for the other DIYers here my biggest mistake was over thinking the mix. Spending 10 mins mixing up and being scared of a sloppy top so to speak. Turns out once you get the hand of the trowel/hawk action you can get away with a lot.

Meant my first coat was dragging bytime I'd coated I'd fully layed the wall.

Second coat was a lot better but as we know, it can't fix a messed up first run.

Also don't use 50p end of batch, even if it is only a day out of date....
1635691336027.jpg

Oh also, don't neglect the edges because they will bite you.

Dont use a stool. If you're going to give it a go get a proper platform that you don't have to lean into because you will not get that level.

Learn form my mistakes!

But still better than some forum members I won't mention!
You know he folded his business because of several customers wanting to take him to court!
I believe he's into trains now! :coffe:

To be fair, I've seen a lot worse.
Yeah to be fair it was worth it for the experience. Surprised be at how much you can get away with but once it's done it's done.

Made the mistake of using out of date stuff for the first coat and pushing my luck. By time I got the the end of the top the speedskim thing was already dragging even after being soaked.

I've not 'learned' anything in a fair while so feel like even if I'm s**t at the end going through the process of a course will be a needed wake up call.

I think this is a good reference point so I can say haha look how s**t I was or.. atleast I gave it a go. Either way, power to you lot

It's also important to prep the wall with the right amount of diluted PVA. Not too much, but if you don't use enough, the wall will rapidly absorb too much moisture out of the plaster and you won't be able to work it properly.

Another common beginner's mistake is mixing the plaster too thick.

One other tip is don't be tempted to just pile plaster onto the wall and think you'll come back to it in 10 mins to flatten it - try to get it fairly flat on the wall AS you are applying it. Not 100% flat, but fairly close to flat. It'll make life much easier, but it takes time to learn good trowel control.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYyMolhjbN0

Plastering is a highly-skilled job and it takes time and practice to get decent results. We both know there are problems with your results, but if it was your first attempt, then you actually did quite well, from what I can see in your pics.

It's also important to prep the wall with the right amount of diluted PVA. Not too much, but if you don't use enough, the wall will rapidly absorb too much moisture out of the plaster and you won't be able to work it properly.

Another common beginner's mistake is mixing the plaster too thick.

One other tip is don't be tempted to just pile plaster onto the wall and think you'll come back to it in 10 mins to flatten it - try to get it fairly flat on the wall AS you are applying it. Not 100% flat, but fairly close to flat. It'll make life much easier, but it takes time to learn good trowel control.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYyMolhjbN0

Plastering is a highly-skilled job and it takes time and practice to get decent results. We both know there are problems with your results, but if it was your first attempt, then you actually did quite well, from what I can see in your pics.
Yeah 1000%

I mean with my first trowel in the corner I couldn't even figure out how to get it on the trowel, not the floor. That's where I'm coming from...

I absolutely made the mistake of over mixing and making it too thick. Too large a wall for first bash too.

My PVA was ok, probably the only thing that was.

I watched reviews on the speed skim and some flexi trowel and thought f**k me that's like spreading yogurt. It kinda is and I compleeeeley under estimated how hard it is to actually get on the wall consistently. I left gaps to fresh wall and thought I could come back to fill after. I was wrong

Only on the second batch did I start to do the up/down over lap and repeat which make it soo much better to finish.

End result is. I'm humbled but cautiously optimistic

Never picked up a trowel before today. Did a stupid thing but now I want to learn.

I'll send this to my wife before she comes home so I can pleasantly surprise her. Did they apply that with a rake?

Just been quoted 7k to get my house done. Figured I can either balls up a wall, book myself onto a week course for a few hundred and save some cash or... Pay one of you to do it and learn the basics whilst at it.

Think for the other DIYers here my biggest mistake was over thinking the mix. Spending 10 mins mixing up and being scared of a sloppy top so to speak. Turns out once you get the hand of the trowel/hawk action you can get away with a lot.

Second coat was a lot better but as we know, it can't fix a messed up first run.

Also don't use 50p end of batch, even if it is only a day out of date.... View attachment 65589
Just a quick one, Is that switch staying on the skirting?? :popcorn:

No.

This was just a point of reference knowing the walls going to get f**k*d anyway.

You'll be more happy to hear that's actually just an extension with an exposed cable running along the skirting.

House is a state. Hence why I don't really care about getting it wrong on one wall. It's the leaaaaast of my issues.

I think there's only actually one plug in the house with everything else spurred off....

Since you're here, I'll pick your brain if I may:

There was a youtube vid being linked for a while on TPF, about 18months ago, with an Asian guy who had done by far the worst plastering I've ever seen - hilariously so. Any idea where the link is, as I'd like to post it here! :coffe:

House is a state. Hence why I don't really care about getting it wrong on one wall. It's the leaaaaast of my issues.

Oh, you think you've got problems?!?

Oh, you think you've got problems?!?

Waterproof paint and jobs a gooden?

Also don't use 50p end of batch, even if it is only a day out of date.... View attachment 65589
its a handboard not a hawk \ok first go like the hop up

If you don't use enough PVA to prep the wall:

you were lucky you never had an accident looking at that chair, why have you not got the electrics done before you started, ceiling comes first,
and most importantly its called a handboard, this will help when you are taken into casualty dept , as they will know what you are talking about

you were lucky you never had an accident looking at that chair, why have you not got the electrics done before you started, ceiling comes first,
and most importantly its called a handboard, this will help when you are taken into casualty dept , as they will know what you are talking about
Ok so it's a shovel, take and hand board? Thanks for the info.

Yeah shamefully I know ceiling first wiring 1st fix but just wanted to attempt

Don’t listen to them gentlemen cos it’s a Hawk
You going to have another go?
Yeah might corner drill some plaster board into my garage just to give it a go to be honest. Sounds pretty sad but I'm excited to get better at something I'm crap at. Not quite a midlife crisis but the day job is getting a bit ehh. Not looking for a replacement by any means just want to learn and try something new

Kent way. Offering some work exp? Would carry sh*t just to watch your knack and timings to be fair. Carrying heavy stuff
a tad to far for me thickslick, get in touch with cockney, he will do it for you just round the corner for him, any work down south i always pass on to him
better hurry though he is moving up north shortly, to realise his life long dream