gas and electric boxes

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

basset

hi guys how is everyone?hope all is well.

I have been asked by a neighbour to do a little job for them. They have had an extension put on the front of there house. The gas meter and electric meter are now inside the porch. The builder who did it for some reason only plastered one of the walls and left the other 3. the gas and electric meter boxes that are inside now still have the original doors on and obviously are ugly to have iside a room. I was going to dot and dab the 3 walls and then skim, as they want the cheapest option and quickest option. Reagarding the meter boxes i was thinking of taking the doors off boarding up to them and then putting some new timber doors on so they look more like a cupboard that blends in. Now my question - is this ok to do or is there a regulation or something where you cant do this?
I did have a little look on the web and couldnt find anything to say you couldnt just wondered if you guys new of anything?

Also just another question have any of you guys worked in australia?if so was there alot of work out there?

cheers

Dont know if there are any regs but ive changed meter doors before no probs, plenty of work in WA at the moment so my mates tell me

Do as you say mate but just make sure the old doors can be fixed back just in case.

hey guys one more question.
There is an electric cable going across one wall then on to another connecting to a socket. its half way up the wall. Im going to dot and dab the walls like i said but should i protect the cable, Ive been looking on the net for answers and comes up with "safe zones" for electrics. If there were sockets on the main wall then it would be a little more obvious for people that there may be electrics behind the plasterboard. but where there isnt i can see someone drilling straight into it, as its a very strange place to have a cable.

Any of you guys come across this?i think im going to ask a mate of a mate who is an electrician that i may need him just to move it for safety reasons.

the electrician should have zoned them anyway mate if not its not really your problem i would tell whoever what the crack is with em to cover your arse other than that dab over em

thanks i just didnt want it on my conscience sort of thing!i will let the owner know just to cover myself!
once again thanks for answering!

I take a photo of the wiring in them kind circumstances and give it to the customer for what its worth just makes me feel better.

I'd dab over it and when they ring me to say I've hit a wire I'd do **** all and say goodbye

90 degrees in any direction for wires... diagonal is a no-no... other than that, a safe zone is usually anywhere where its not gonna get wet...
capping the cable wont stop anyone drilling through it... thats what rcd's are for, to trip the power in the event of a numpty attack...
though is does help if someone does drill though it, then the spark can attach a new cable to the end of the old one and pull it up through the capping....

Status
Not open for further replies.