Garden Wall & Raised Bed Plastering & Beading

Members online

philboy

Hi All,
I am going to plaster the garden walls and raised beds. Please see the picture below. Plasterers cannot be got in my area so I'm going to give it a go myself. Not looking for perfection but want to ensure I have the process as correct as possible before starting. I've done a lot of research over the last few weeks so just want to run everything by the experts here.

I have french drains installed in the garden so drainage won't be a problem. To the right of the raised beds in the picture below will be artificial grass. To the left of the raised bed, I will be installing a raised porcelain patio. I will have drains running across the full length of the patio just behind the raised bed (patio falling into drains).

1623845780140.jpg

Garden Wall
This garden wall consists of 2 side walls and 1 back wall (block on flat) with no DPC. All walls have been capped.

Raised Beds
The raised beds don't have DPC but have large rectangular drainage holes in the center of them and have been filled with stone and lined with 2 coats of bitumen paint. I will be putting a non-woven geo-textile membrane over the stone before putting the soil in.

Questions
I know that rendered garden walls and especially raised beds can be prone to frost/water damage and plaster blowing off so want to avoid this as best I can so I have a couple of questions I hope you guys can give me a steer on.

Q1. What is the best render mix?
I am in a sea area which is quite exposed.
Scratch Coat - 4:1 sand and cement with waterproofer (should I add lime here)
Top Coat - 5:1 sand and cement with plasticizer (should I add lime here)

Q2. Bellcast or Stop End Beads Needed?
Given the fact that I have french drains installed and drainage won't be an issue in the grass. I have drains installed in the patio so shouldn't be an issue here either. Can I plaster straight down to the stone sub-base and then run the grass and patio right up to the plaster?

Is a bellcast or stop end bead required? I'd prefer not to do it as it would be less aesthically pleaseing however, if it will give a longer and better finish, I will put it in.

Thanks all
Philboy

Hi All,
I am going to plaster the garden walls and raised beds. Please see the picture below. Plasterers cannot be got in my area so I'm going to give it a go myself. Not looking for perfection but want to ensure I have the process as correct as possible before starting. I've done a lot of research over the last few weeks so just want to run everything by the experts here.

I have french drains installed in the garden so drainage won't be a problem. To the right of the raised beds in the picture below will be artificial grass. To the left of the raised bed, I will be installing a raised porcelain patio. I will have drains running across the full length of the patio just behind the raised bed (patio falling into drains).

View attachment 61918

Garden Wall
This garden wall consists of 2 side walls and 1 back wall (block on flat) with no DPC. All walls have been capped.

Raised Beds
The raised beds don't have DPC but have large rectangular drainage holes in the center of them and have been filled with stone and lined with 2 coats of bitumen paint. I will be putting a non-woven geo-textile membrane over the stone before putting the soil in.

Questions
I know that rendered garden walls and especially raised beds can be prone to frost/water damage and plaster blowing off so want to avoid this as best I can so I have a couple of questions I hope you guys can give me a steer on.

Q1. What is the best render mix?
I am in a sea area which is quite exposed.
Scratch Coat - 4:1 sand and cement with waterproofer (should I add lime here)
Top Coat - 5:1 sand and cement with plasticizer (should I add lime here)

Q2. Bellcast or Stop End Beads Needed?
Given the fact that I have french drains installed and drainage won't be an issue in the grass. I have drains installed in the patio so shouldn't be an issue here either. Can I plaster straight down to the stone sub-base and then run the grass and patio right up to the plaster?

Is a bellcast or stop end bead required? I'd prefer not to do it as it would be less aesthically pleaseing however, if it will give a longer and better finish, I will put it in.

Thanks all
Philboy

@Olican

Here we go again... As much advice as you get its a time served trade with skills that require years of experience knowing how to apply... waiting times on the render before being rubbed up if your after a bumpy wavy spanish look you can crack on..
But as far as asking a plasterer for advice its abit of a down grade that you think you can attempt to use s@c..
Its a year to learn to plaster with multi finish never mind rendering...
Good luck with it.
Only advice id say is get someone in.

Here we go again... As much advice as you get its a time served trade with skills that require years of experience knowing how to apply... waiting times on the render before being rubbed up if your after a bumpy wavy spanish look you can crack on..
But as far as asking a plasterer for advice its abit of a down grade that you think you can attempt to use s@c..
Its a year to learn to plaster with multi finish never mind rendering...
Good luck with it.
Only advice id say is get someone in.
Thanks for your reply. The plasterer I used on the last 3 jobs I had he retired.

I have contacted 7 plasterers, 4 of which won't look at it as they are too busy. 2 won't answer calls, probably enough work on. 1 has told me 3-6 months.

I'm not looking for perfection here and I appreciate fully that I won't get a patch on what a professional would do but I want to get it sorted and can't wait that long. This is why I posted in the DIY sub-forum hoping that I would at least get advice on mix, setup and best practices.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. The plasterer I used on the last 3 jobs I had he retired.

I have contacted 7 plasterers, 4 of which won't look at it as they are too busy. 2 won't answer calls, probably enough work on. 1 has told me 3-6 months.

I'm not looking for perfection here and I appreciate fully that I won't get a patch on what a professional would do but I want to get it sorted and can't wait that long. This is why I posted in the DIY sub-forum hoping that I would at least get advice on mix, setup and best practices.

Thanks
Have you ever picked up a trowel?? Its a challenge to get it off the board mate in all honesty your probably going to get more luck from you tube... I could sit here all day and explain but will do you no favours... It would be like me asking a mechanic how to change an engine in a car

Have you ever picked up a trowel?? Its a challenge to get it off the board mate in all honesty your probably going to get more luck from you tube... I could sit here all day and explain but will do you no favours... It would be like me asking a mechanic how to change an engine in a car
I did some patch work around the house but with plastering trowel nothing major, just vent holes and oil burner holes. I've watched a ton of videos on YouTube and I know well watching is very different from doing.

I have the back part of the wall that won't be seen that I'm going to practice on. I just wanted to check in here to make sure mix ratios and additives were correct for my scenario and if bellcast beading was needed or straight to ground.

Cheers

If you got zero dpc then bell cast beads ain’t gonna make a difference
Thanks for the feedback. I'll go straight to the floor/ground. I drove around a couple of new estates that have their garden walls plastered and they go straight to ground too.