Gap between stud wall and ceiling. Building a shower cubicle but ceiling has broken up and does not actually meet wall board. Is it repairable ? Cheer

Members online

Jakuk

img_20200402_194519-jpg.46675
IMG_20200402_194144.jpg
IMG_20200402_194037.jpg

I've used green board for the top half but aquaboard near the shower tray and will be tanking it all. You all reckon I should replace the broken ceiling part?

Tank it or use hardiebacker, or the new tile backer boards.
What would you expect to happen to the plasterboard covered in tiles out of interest? How could moisture possibly ruin the walls?
He's not even asked about the walls in the post.
To answer the question yes the ceilings repairable, just fill and sand it as the tiles are going to cover the gap anyway. Or reboard the ceiling as it's probably tiny anyway

What would you expect to happen to the plasterboard covered in tiles out of interest? How could moisture possibly ruin the walls?

Its not so much the tiles, although a lot of tiles are actually a bit porous, but its generally at the base where the wall meets the tray. Silicon, grout can break down eventually and moisture will work its way into the board behind. Not everyone uses a good quality cement based addy, or puts on a bed of addy giving complete coverage. A £40 brush on tanking kit can save hassle further down the line.

Its not so much the tiles, although a lot of tiles are actually a bit porous, but its generally at the base where the wall meets the tray. Silicon, grout can break down eventually and moisture will work its way into the board behind. Not everyone uses a good quality cement based addy, or puts on a bed of addy giving complete coverage. A £40 brush on tanking kit can save hassle further down the line.
Fair enough. I've personally never been called to a job where plasterboard needs replacing unless the whole bathrooms being ripped out anyway as it's dated and nackered

Fair enough. I've personally never been called to a job where plasterboard needs replacing unless the whole bathrooms being ripped out anyway as it's dated and nackered

Belt and braces mate, but theres a lot of badly installed bathrooms and a lot of water flying about in a shower cubicle. I'm not saying that its the rule, but when someones spending a lot of money on a bathroom, a few extra quid in the prep is money well spent IMO.

Although weve fitted plenty of bathrooms with normal or green board I wont do it anymore in wet areas. Theres better kit on the market