Funny ceilings - multi on stipple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhys

Doing some ceilings in a house at the mo, looks like a fine stipple Artex, two coat skim job.
PVA'd them - sucked in straight away.. Uh oh.. Bone dry. Hmm. Gave them another coat slightly more diluted so nice and tacky to start.
Mixed up some multi and it looked a bit different - more silky. Started to scratch on and it was pulling of, when it came off it was more like plasticine. Here we go..
Anyways I thought I'd try something so gave the ceiling a really tight coat of skim, litterally scraping it accross the stipple then scratched onto that no probs. Layed down with some fresh, went on like spreading butter - lovely.
Troweling up, fun starts. So much fat and grease pftttt..
Flatten, leave a while, trowel with a splash of water - going fine and enjoying troweling this. Another trowel up before a dry one - still pretty greasy. Cup of tea and a natter.. Hard trowel producing quite a bit of fat.. Feck knows what's going on - this multi is more like carlite.. See what it's like in the morning. Two more to do tomorrow.

On your first one try to just trowel it in with as little water as possible and just leave it...............see how you get on :RpS_thumbup:

Maybe the pva is livening up the artex mate.do these a lot myself,1st coat takes a good while to pull in,then once it's fairly dry,2nd up.

On your first one try to just trowel it in with as little water as possible and just leave it...............see how you get on :RpS_thumbup:
Aye, did that. 2nd one the skim was dryish (normally it'd be panic and rush like mad if its left to this stage) a little splash of water brought it straight back.
At this point my mate was telling me of two occasions where they had batches of skim that didn't set. Put every wall on in two flats and troweled them the next day (with a few other spreads).

i tried board finish on boards the other day and did not like it at all found it really fatty, multi seems to have been a bit better of late round here though

Maybe the pva is livening up the artex mate.do these a lot myself,1st coat takes a good while to pull in,then once it's fairly dry,2nd up.
Wondered that, first coat was diluted as normal and rollered on - rubbed the ceiling and it felt bone dry.. 2nd coat I diluted a bit more and was slightly tacky but drying when I started skimming.
The skim definitely seamed different, very fatty.

Wondered that, first coat was diluted as normal and rollered on - rubbed the ceiling and it felt bone dry.. 2nd coat I diluted a bit more and was slightly tacky but drying when I started skimming.
The skim definitely seamed different, very fatty.

2nd coat of PVA should be thicker, not thinner.

This is why BG have brought out unifinish to get over this sort of scenario.
Rhys you could have a nice cup of tea and natter with customer knowing you can get on with skimming the ceiling straight away. All this is in theory at the moment for me as I can't find anyone stocking it yet in warwickshire.

Well, did the downstairs ceilings, two coats of pva and skimmed as normal - skimming was on the fatty side though but troweled up ok - it didn't pull off on the scratch coat in fact it went on lovely.
As a note, I checked some fat that I scraped off one of the upstairs ceilings when I hard troweled it yesterday and it was still soft.

Weak to strong, first coat gets drawn in then thicker coat you plaster on.
Same as applying paint mate, mist coat and top coat.

Last edited:
i always use an aggregate loaded adhesive on artex ceilings nows and for the same day skim wickes plaster bonding agent pulls in well couple of hours and its fine, sealer and adhesive in one no problems

Doing some ceilings in a house at the mo, looks like a fine stipple Artex, two coat skim job.
PVA'd them - sucked in straight away.. Uh oh.. Bone dry. Hmm. Gave them another coat slightly more diluted so nice and tacky to start.
Mixed up some multi and it looked a bit different - more silky. Started to scratch on and it was pulling of, when it came off it was more like plasticine. Here we go..
Anyways I thought I'd try something so gave the ceiling a really tight coat of skim, litterally scraping it accross the stipple then scratched onto that no probs. Layed down with some fresh, went on like spreading butter - lovely.
Troweling up, fun starts. So much fat and grease pftttt..
Flatten, leave a while, trowel with a splash of water - going fine and enjoying troweling this. Another trowel up before a dry one - still pretty greasy. Cup of tea and a natter.. Hard trowel producing quite a bit of fat.. Feck knows what's going on - this multi is more like carlite.. See what it's like in the morning. Two more to do tomorrow.
better get the easi-fill out mate

better get the easi-fill out mate
Nah, gave it a good going over the next morning - turned out nice. For some reason the last batch of multi we've used has been more fatty than usual. Makes me wonder if BG is mucking about with it to make it suitable for higher suction backgrounds (when we gave BG some stick about getting rid of Carlite they said multi was just as good.. Yeah right)

too dear to last ill give it a shot but to expensive to last any time, does any of your hertfordshire branches stock it particularly hoddesdon

Status
Not open for further replies.