Full artex room to skim

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac82

How do, I've got a bedroom to re skim that is all painted artex I was planing on pva'ing then putting a tight coat of bonding over the artex then turn back and skim it all, was just wondering what other plasterers would do? As I've not done much re skimming artex. Cheers.

Handful of bonding in first coat of finish, get it on thick enough to cover artex, lay in as normal but let the first coat firm up quite abit.

Ad say u have it right , if you want use dirty water with the bonding so your not waiting around all day for it to set

Check the adhesion strength of the artex to the walls and ceilings before you plaster, test a bit with pva, let if soak in , if it scrapes off, bothers for thee

Handful of bonding in first coat of finish, get it on thick enough to cover artex, lay in as normal but let the first coat firm up quite abit.

That's what I do john good couple of big scoops to a bag or so works a treat:RpS_thumbup:

For me artex varies so much it would always be bonding agent. If it's heavy artex, bond then skim. If not just skim. Never, ever use dirty water with bonding over artex! I've made that mistake and it cost me.

Check the adhesion strength of the artex to the walls and ceilings before you plaster, test a bit with pva, let if soak in , if it scrapes off, bothers for thee

Johns absolutely right, bonding out after pva gives you a good indication of any adhesion issues, as we all know the plasters only as good as what it's stuck to.

If the artex isn't too peaky I personally would scrape it down, 2 pva and skim first coat thicker, second coat normal. Each to his own though!

Scrape high points, dust off, pva, 2 coat skim, let first coat firm up before applying a fresh thinner 2nd coat.
If silk emulsion or similar on the artex use a bonding agent first.
Only need to use bonding plaster if it's mega heavy artex.

top tip: over artex don't be tempted to 2 coat out same mix, or get a fresh second coat on too early it'll look sh1t, I'm not talking from experience but I've seen Casper & kebab kings work :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.