free quote

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

northyskim

i no i myself have it in my adverts

call for a free quote

but was there ever a time wen quotes weren't free and how much did people used to charge

I've never known anyone to charge for quotes in the building game. They are getting more expensive to do, but it's just another cost to take on the chin. :RpS_unsure:

I'd like to be able to say that was before my time :RpS_blushing:

It's just one of those phrases that one person thinks gives them an edge in an advert or on sign writing, then everyone else does it too. Others that make me smile are "all aspects of ....." "no job too small" or "xx years experience".

They do no harm I suppose and loads of people use them even if they don't mean anything. More irritating is changing the spelling of a word to either make it phonetic or a bit more 'street'.

I think its just a generic term across most trades/businesses its never free! If you have to go out of your way to price a job up there's ways of getting it back. Pick a number and add 30!:RpS_lol:

I hate quoting with a passion! I used to be enthusiastic about looking at jobs but after 34 years of quoting and 000's of hours of my time being wasted now I am dread the phone ringing for a quote.

It is looking back at all that time I have been tricked into quoting for a job that is never going to happen. You think it can only get better but it doesn't. Now I am booked up till July and I am not going to look at any jobs until late May. Oh, the joy of having evenings and weekends free!

Getting back to the OP's post regarding free quotes. Yes they are free, infact we pay to supply them. But I have never advertised the fact. Advertising 'free quotes' to me is like advertising 'I dont mind having my time wasted' 'time wasters and fantisizers welcome'. Because if you do want to drag a tradesman out for advice who would you call? Those that advertise 'free quotes'. They obviously dont mind.

If anyone rings me and asks me if I do free quotes I immediately say 'No'! Never in 34 years has anyone who has asked for a free quote ever given me a job. They let themselves out of the bag with that statement.

Life is too short for those timewasters.

what i used to do to defer the timewasters and those who just want to use you as a price tool is say that all quotes are £50.00
and i'll knock that off the final bill if successful with actually getting the job...kinda saved me a lot of aggro of going to price jobs in the evenings and alike

it just made me think earlier today wen went to look at a few jobs by the time id finished i'd used up 4 hours of my time and driven 50 miles

Insurance quotes are another big No. If they persist I simply say that I never get insurance quotes accepted but if you need the paper work then £30 by bacs up front and I will supply the written quote. If I get the job I will refund the £30.00 .

That shuts them up!

All my work is now rendering and wind cannot blow off solid render. Insurance does not pay for rendering. Never has and why should they?

it takes guts though to turn people down. They dont like it and can get stroppy. I enjoy the challenge. So many have wasted my precious time, now I give anyone who is likely to be a time waster the rods! But I am fortunate to get more phone calls than I can handle. I am in a rare position where I can choose my customers. Different 10 years + ago.

customer phoned me today wanting a quote for a bedroom to be skimmed out , job was about 30 miles away , so i was gonna drive down straight from work , but i thought coz the drive is quite long ill test the water first with a quick text :RpS_wink: so i gave her a little text just explaining the minimum the job would cost ( labour only ) why it was that price ( fuel , covering up existing furniture carpets etc ) and that the job could cost a little more depending on the size of the bedroom , when lo and behold she txt back saying she'd had a think about things and has decided not to bother:rolleyes) lol i couldn't help but smile , saved myself a couple of hours drive and petrol money with one txt lol:RpS_thumbup:

Totally agree @Rigsby - I say the same about insurance jobs .... I charge but will knock it off the bill if I get the work, never had one person take me up on it lol ...

Your also right about stroppy customers, had one cancel my start date twice, 2nd time I actually lost a days wages due to not being able to bring anything forward with 9 hours notice lol ... anyway my T&C's have a cancellation fee in ... I billed her for it and they went nuts, rang the Trader scheme im on making all sorts of accusations lol ..... was on via email so they looked a pair of clowns ... got my money in the end though .... ... sad thing is how personal they made it trying to damage my rep but cashing the cheque sure was a great feeling after how they went:RpS_thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use "If it cracks we'll be right back" :RpS_unsure: and "free sandpaper with every wall" and my personal Favourite "walls plastered £40" :RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.