Fooking rain

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardbrown

Private Member
I really wish this rain would get fooked we sprayed 110m2 of thin coat today thinking it was going to be dry and as usual the clouds loomed in.
In the end I had two guys on petrol leaf blowers and me on a roofing torch drying it out before it piss.ed it down.....
Hurry up summer!.

not any consolation, but weve had the best week in a long while weatherwise, very mild through day no rain all week.

What's the answer when it comes to thin coat and winter.... Is there one ?
I have a large insulated job to do before Xmas another in jan and ten houses to do starting mid jan..... That's me ****** then lol

Mate ,your busy come on ,it better to worry about bad weather ,then thinking the phone has stopped ringing ,and it might not rain :cool:

I'm not sure Keith I am literally stressed out of my ass and not sleeping due to too much work and too little time.

Owls I'm sure I asked Marmorit last year about that and they said no!

I,only loose sleep when we have no work ,your sort it mate ,sounds like you need a hoilday ,take a week out ,they will wait when your good at what you do

I'm not sure Keith I am literally stressed out of my ass and not sleeping due to too much work and too little time.

likewise, one thing slightly better than not having enough work is having to much. were still catching up with the lousy weather in the year, plus we are on penalties on a couple of projects, starting to panic about fitting everything in before christmas and winter sets in, hoping for a mild one.

i havent had the proble using marm gear, as i havent used any in yonks i mainly use parex gear these days, and they make an accelerator that comes in small pots mixed as per pale ratio that you add to it, and it sets in about 2 hours not cheap about 20 quid per pot per pale, but it gets you out of the shite.
I used it last year on a couple of ocassions, as long as its not below 2,3c when applying.

Feel your pain, Rich...

We had two houses wash off 7 days after application.....

We have now started using industrial fans set at ground level to improve air flow around the building, seems to work so far!

Dont feel bad mate , many have been fooled by this human dustbin of a plasterer called Richard brown , just never ever swap phone numbers :RpS_scared: looks like i might just saved you in time , pheeeew :RpS_wink:

7 days after application... what product was it?

Heck (BASF) Silicone texture, they were applied in good weather and touch dry by days end, there followed days of persistent cold damp drizzly weather, with a final torrential downpour on day 7,the gear came back to life and rolled off the wall!!

I am being asked more for the silicone/Acrylic finishes but I had a wash off last December twice due to faulty gutter and roofline. It is very expensive to have to do it all again so I am a bit shy of doing it before April.

This parex accelerator sounds interesting though? Is it only Parex what does it? Maybe it will catch on with the others.

SPS had a thin coat which is cement based but needs painting afterwards. I went to Barbados winter last and theres more of the cement based than the pre coloured acrylic. Customers do not like the idea of having a painted finish though and although the paint will dry faster than the acrylic it is another days labour.

When it rains in the Caribbean it really chucks it down hence why they may prefer the cement based which dries in hours.

A few years ago myself and a small gang took on 48 houses to eml, render and tyrolean (s&c) on the edge of dartmoor in Devon. The area is real weather trap and has its own micro-climate. Long story short we had nearly 100 days of consecutive rain, some days were workable some were a washout. Way behind schedule and with a completely un-sympathetic client things got unbearable. The best crew with the best materials with the best intentions could not have completed on schedule, yet still we were pressured into completion. Stress is the most harmful thing to any of us in business, walking away from a job can be the hardest thing to do at the time, but the best in the long run.

I hear that loud and clear olican! Parex accel dry? Owls, so its a bottle per tub? I got 300m of sand smooth to spray soon, 10 tubs(200 bucks?) hmm for peace of mind might be better off investing. Say you do 5 tubs normal then rest with accel, is there a noticeable shade difference?

That will blend in no problem Browno. because you sprayed it the texture will be consistent. maybe just turn the air on full blast so it gets more of a paint covering.

Can you use half a bottle of that accelorator and it goes of in 4 hrs. :RpS_thumbup:

just been to the job....... the temporary dwonpipe i put up must have got damaged yesterday so water was running down the wall all night.

Nice

Heck (BASF) Silicone texture, they were applied in good weather and touch dry by days end, there followed days of persistent cold damp drizzly weather, with a final torrential downpour on day 7,the gear came back to life and rolled off the wall!!

after reading that, ill never moan again.

I hear that loud and clear olican! Parex accel dry? Owls, so its a bottle per tub? I got 300m of sand smooth to spray soon, 10 tubs(200 bucks?) hmm for peace of mind might be better off investing. Say you do 5 tubs normal then rest with accel, is there a noticeable shade difference?

Accel dry, correct, thats the stuff.a tub per pale, to get the ratio right.
They brought it in last year from the states,[where there acrylic comes from] With being fairly well in with Parex we were one of a few outfits that trialled it for them last year, with good success. not sure about shade variation,one to ask the parex technical bods i guess. like with any product i would imagine the rest will soon folow with a similar product, especially as its quite a common problem as acrylic works with humidity means that from October- April its not fully drying ou tfor a period of time.

Last edited:

I got into a lot of stress earlier this year with a full order book and a 3 day week because of the rain. Customers were ringing on the due by date when I was a month behind. After a couple of jobs being cancelled because I didn't turn up when I said i would (like 3 months before!) I simply cancelled 2 months of work with the excuse of a chipped bone in my elbow and started with a clean slate.

First time in 31 years of business I had to do it but the stress of people shouting at me, the constant rain and the 2 T***s I have working for me (ignorant and lazy) it was the right thing to do. It was because of the stress of late I have been quiet on here. Had to reduce anything to do with work, doctors orders.

Quite right then. Just heard a tale today about a bloke who's a salesman, wages are OTE and he's been missing his targets. Wife was due to leave him but they were going to have a make or break holiday to see if they could save the marriage, Bosses weren't too happy about him having a holiday.
Anyhow (this was his mate telling me this) "We were having a few beers and we heard a popping sound. When I looked round his eye was bleeding :RpS_scared: so we told him he would have to have it looked at down the hospital"
They took him in the motor to hospital and on the way he watched him 'almost melting down one side' .......Massive stroke, left in a wheelchair and wife simmering with resentment. Stress is a killer.

I got into a lot of stress earlier this year with a full order book and a 3 day week because of the rain. Customers were ringing on the due by date when I was a month behind. After a couple of jobs being cancelled because I didn't turn up when I said i would (like 3 months before!) I simply cancelled 2 months of work with the excuse of a chipped bone in my elbow and started with a clean slate.

First time in 31 years of business I had to do it but the stress of people shouting at me, the constant rain and the 2 T***s I have working for me (ignorant and lazy) it was the right thing to do. It was because of the stress of late I have been quiet on here. Had to reduce anything to do with work, doctors orders.

sometimes you've just got to cut your losses .....your no good to nobody in a wooden box marra. I was just saying on here a month back of a mate of mine who's been working 7 days a week for 6 months and had a heart attack. He's only 37.........:RpS_thumbdn:

hada kitchen fitter die on a job i was on when i was learning apparently he was under alot of stress work related came in to work had a massive heart attack and that was that game over 35 years old

you must learn to combat stress. tell the customers straight that you are running behind time ,either wait or go and get someone else if you cannot make their deadlines. the work will still be there when you are dead and gone.

I really wish this rain would get fooked we sprayed 110m2 of thin coat today thinking it was going to be dry and as usual the clouds loomed in.
In the end I had two guys on petrol leaf blowers and me on a roofing torch drying it out before it piss.ed it down.....
Hurry up summer!.

we haven even had winter yet !!

sometimes you've just got to cut your losses .....your no good to nobody in a wooden box marra. I was just saying on here a month back of a mate of mine who's been working 7 days a week for 6 months and had a heart attack. He's only 37.........:RpS_thumbdn:
thats correct. i had my first heart attack at 41 and nobody stress me out now.

I've been through all sorts of crap including loosing my mum in August and am on antidepressants as a result. They're only mild but take the edge off.

My dad had a stress related heart condition and was on beta blockers for a while - all through and arsehole he worked for.

Status
Not open for further replies.