floor screed diy

Members online

drainman

This is a bit of a long shot but have any of you guys mixed your screed in a pan mixer? Ive recently aquired a used Baron M110 forced action mixer and am going to have a go at sand cement screeding starting in the porch just to see how I get on.
Will be doing a 4 to 1 mix with fibres mixed in with the water.
If I use 4 buckets of sand to 1 bucket of cement then one bucket of water does that give me 4 to1 or should I weigh the water to equal the weight of the cement or just add the water by eye until it looks like a semi dry mix?
Thanks for any advice.

Floor screed in a housing situation is usually mixed at 4:1 - 4.5:1
If you're talking shovels of sand to a bag of cement then between 12 to 14 is normal. I've known some firms ask for 17 to a bag. A 900g bag of fibres should do one cubic metre of mixed screed.

This is a bit of a long shot but have any of you guys mixed your screed in a pan mixer? Ive recently aquired a used Baron M110 forced action mixer and am going to have a go at sand cement screeding starting in the porch just to see how I get on.
Will be doing a 4 to 1 mix with fibres mixed in with the water.
If I use 4 buckets of sand to 1 bucket of cement then one bucket of water does that give me 4 to1 or should I weigh the water to equal the weight of the cement or just add the water by eye until it looks like a semi dry mix?
Thanks for any advice.
The mix is 4 sand one cement one water. All black buckets.

The mix is 4 sand one cement one water. All black buckets.
Drunk Kermit GIF by ninavers3

Floor screed in a housing situation is usually mixed at 4:1 - 4.5:1
If you're talking shovels of sand to a bag of cement then between 12 to 14 is normal. I've known some firms ask for 17 to a bag. A 900g bag of fibres should do one cubic metre of mixed screed.

Same here,

Only really do 3 to 1 for special areas.

Garage floors, (high traffic/stress) stairs, etc...

Same here,

Only really do 3 to 1 for special areas.

Garage floors, (high traffic/stress) stairs, etc...

4 to 1 is a class C screed. light traffic.
3 to 1 is class B screed to take a sliding hammer test after 21 days. for correct compaction.

Thanks fellas, looks like 4 to1 then. Someone somewhere said dont use fibres as they make it hard to float up. I think I will use them anyway as its my own place and can always self level compound it afterwards. Hopefully I wont need to.