floating

leefaithfull

hello all
havnt been on here for a while as i have hung me tools up (some would say thank f**k), and am now teaching plastering old school styley at a college ,,,,the teacher before me had taught the kids to start floating (hardwall,, sand n cement ie) from the left hand side of the wall starting at the bottom,,,,,have i missed something here or was he a complete prick having it off,,,,surely its top right work left right handed,,or at least start at top left work right,,,,thanks for replies

Start in the middle and work in ever increasing circles

Anyway look at this. I'm not sure what I've been googling to deserve this but it seems you can now buy an ingenious contraption that holds your shirt in AND your socks up.

Up here for thinking.
Screenshot_20220310-212322_Chrome.jpg

picture on left,,a good idea but i see no fixings at back of shirt to stop it rising,,,,,picture on right is a winner if it has strapping going up back of legs to shirt, good for skateboarding as well

hello all
havnt been on here for a while as i have hung me tools up (some would say thank f**k), and am now teaching plastering old school styley at a college ,,,,the teacher before me had taught the kids to start floating (hardwall,, sand n cement ie) from the left hand side of the wall starting at the bottom,,,,,have i missed something here or was he a complete prick having it off,,,,surely its top right work left right handed,,or at least start at top left work right,,,,thanks for replies
Top right hand side work left if your a right hander opposite way you'd skim that's a northern way . Fuk knows down south

old school would float with screeds in a picture frame style the fill in the centre.
some plasterers , right handed, would float from the right hand side and set from the left hand side.
other plasterers would float a box area, using the box as a screed.
plasterers on a tight price would apply the whole wall then rule off depending on suction.

As @malc said I was taught old school so always did box screeds starting the first screed from the top right then the top of the wall then the left top left then along the bottoms then ruled off then the centre would be done soon as all the screeds was ruled and levelled

hello all

no...

that's nonsense

why spend more time up and down on a hop up/crate

than starting at the bottom..

my apprentice spent 3 years in college poor c**t wasted his time

old school would float with screeds in a picture frame style the fill in the centre.
some plasterers , right handed, would float from the right hand side and set from the left hand side.
plasterers on a tight price would apply the whole wall then rule off depending on suction.
Putting on large areas and free ruling seemed to become the accepted norm Malc, and they'd always try to convince you that it was just as accurate as using screeds.

I’ve just bought a go devil as Kirk uses we have a massive hardwall job soon so see if it works, I lay on right to left or if it’s a nice flat bit of block left to right and get it on a bit tighter, I lay my tops on with with skimming right to left too and trowel it up like that and I lay bottoms on first x

I do with S&C
But I’m not going to lie with bagged renders I go left to right that s**t sticks like s**t … I really don’t see the benefit of the opposite ways all the same at the end tried both ways…
I no there will be many who disagree with me but I don’t care

Yep when i started at college we did plumb, dot and screed. No better way of floating a flat wall.

hello all
As long as its flat when it's done it doesn't really matter I used to float as I skimmed as it was fast to do some people need screeds some don't some go right to left it doesn't really matter do what works for you

Oh ok you're right and I'm wrong. The old way of achieving quality work is all b*ll***s and the modern site slashing methods are not just quicker, but better as well. My bad.

I’ve tried a few methods as a chancer including free ruling, but for the odd times when I do float and set now, I set dots and create screeds off these. Haven’t quite perfected the method tbf, but good enough

Oh ok you're right and I'm wrong. The old way of achieving quality work is all b*ll***s and the modern site slashing methods are not just quicker, but better as well. My bad.
You didn't answer my question at all fact is if you can float you can float no matter how you look at it you are covering an area please explain what you are going to do in-between the two screeds at the end of a wall 10 meters long