floating

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruddez

when laying on the final rendering coat is it better to leave a while before feathering off and filling slack spots or do it straight after laying on and then leave to firm up then use big float with downward strokes then smaller float using same procedure followed by using sponge in circular motion im just looking to get a better finish as it always looks shite no matter how I do it especially when the sun shines across it

Also try and leave render ruled off horizontally.i.e left to right ,,as easier to rub up..work with the grain rather than against ...".you'll find the float digs in a little when just ruled upwards...

once you have ruled off, leave the render until you cannot push it out of shape by using the float. then float for a second time using water, then finish with a sponge. you do not want to bring sand up to the surface.

Lay on, rule upwards, fill jut any lows, rule upwards again, then rule across. Let it pick up then float and after I rub over with damp sponge.
That's how I was taught and that's how I still do. Apart from when it's a bit cold or damp, I then run a serrated spat over it after ruling across.

why do you run a serrated spat over when damp and also am I doing right by floating with the downward action with the large and small float

I use the spat to help it set up a but quicker. A bit more pressure on the downward stroke on the float.

But as malc said. You don't want to start floating until it's firmed up or you will have bumps all over the place!

mixing 12 sand 3 cement 1 lime with feb

If your mix is'nt right your going to be ruling dog sh*t.

For top coat i'd go 4 plastering sand 1 concrete sand 1 cement 1 lime thats it .... let it knock up till its like butter.

Mate i wouldn't bother with feb in top coat ...

yes sharp sand, the lime will make it workable if you let it knock up,you've got to let it knock up, you will think it looks stiff but the mixer throw it around. you want it like butter firm but spreads beauty

its something you will get a feel for with experience, look on youtube to see how some guys rub up. Get that mix just right and dont play around with it once its on the wall, practice promotes permanent procedures :huh: :RpS_thumbup:

Its all about the mix .... Tell me your mix mate .....??

He's bang on, leave it turn! If you've got to turn the mixer off incase it goes too pissy, there's too much water in the mix, & will be heavy, a nice litght, well mixed mix will be a great deal easier to use!

I would add some Feb, it then uses less water so less risk of shrinkage cracks. But each to their own.

I would add some Feb, it then uses less water so less risk of shrinkage cracks. But each to their own.
I thought it was always waterproofer external ? Then either waterproofer or feb just inside ? Is it ok to use the feb on topcoat outside yeah ? Or do you use waterproofer and feb in the gauging water ?

Status
Not open for further replies.