FLOAT SPONGE MULTI !!!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

oasis

OMG today i got put with a ploish man as a labour..he tolde me he could skim..
i fort sound half day 4 me...after putin on the first coat he got out a spone float and went round with it reali fast flattenin it..i had to stop him there he looked like he was killing my work..

he siad they do 1 coat float it up then wait till nerly garn and then finsh once with trowel?
no chance was i avin that but he said thats all they do in germany ect?
any way i got him on cleaning up and mixin up..no chance wasa 1 coat wonder tuchin me walls
stick the sponge up he ass an all..
any one hurd of this be for?

Re: FLOAT SPONGE MULI !!!

ha ha ha
i have done it before and if you catch it right it leaves a blemish free nice finish that takes half the time to complete than two coats, do it wrong and itll all slide all over the place or you catch it too late and you leave the sponge lines in
theres nothing in the book that says skim has to be two coat work it's usually a 3-5mm skim coat of finish plaster
heres how i do it dub out all your beads and scrim then lay a nice thick coat on when it's ready for a trowel flatten it in and as soon as youve finished wet the wall down and float with a sponge float it should take a further two trowels to finish, on the last two trowels carry youre hawk with you and put a fair bit of pressure on the walls and scrape the fat that comes off back onto your hawk now if you want to be really bad you could go and lay a couple of cupboard ceilings on with the fat on your hawk ;D
personally unless i got offered a joke of a price i stick to two coat work

this is very poor plastering boys but i must admit when i have been on site on a meter rate i have done it. :-/
but i would never normally do it some plasterers i have met call it bouncing the walls..

Was on a site a while back and there was a load of welsh spreads doing this, so had a gander at what they were doing, and well I wasnt impressed, 1 bloke layed on another came behind with a pump sprayer and sprayed the walls, then another came through with this huge sponge on a pole and rubbed the walls up, then the bloke who was laying on came through with a trowel then on the final they ran a 2 foot wide spatulla over it. Personally thought it looked crap with fat marks all over it, but when it was all painted up looked no different to 2 coat work, but i dont think i will be doing it, i like it looking nice before its painted.

i allways feel with 1 coat u get the wavey effect in the light after its dry..i have toi admit i let the guy do a 1 coat on a fire place side as we ran outa skim at the end of the day ill see how it looks 2 day.it was let him do a small area or come bk another day!

but i told him keep ya sponge in ya bucket

I dont understand plasterers using only one coat with multifinish.It says on the bag to use 2 coats so why do it. :mad:

you would't have 1 pint so y have 1 coat...its 2 pints and a packet of crisps.

dont the crisps leave crumbs o the wall?
;D

think of the crisps as bonding the skim to the wall..fibers?

as so that polish guy pujt all skrim over lappin skirtin boards and door frames sayin u cut it bk later?

i dint no this till i started skimmin!

Status
Not open for further replies.