Float over vandex

Members online

Cornelius

I've got some floating to do over vandex, I've had a look on the vandex website about how long I should be leaving vandex before plastering over? Normally I find vandex sweats and gets loads of condensation on it whilst drying, however the vandex was applied yesterday and is drying out nicely turning a pale grey and hardly any moisture coming off it. How long would you leave it before getting on it?

I've done it next day, no troubles. Spec called for 2 coats vandex slurry, s&c scratch and topcoat plus skim. Did it all on consecutive days, topcoat s&c hung about a bit, skim went like a train.

Is that possible to skim directly onto the vandex Zolco !. Saw it done a few years back , but never saw the finished job !.
fd9c0f6cf1891a0a585b5650c1cdd763.jpg
I just skimmed over this, their technical guy said you can top it with any skim they not fussed about it. Done this about 3 years ago still solid but had some hairline cracks appear after a year or so, just put some easyfill over it and redecorated.
17c6d5c2e7737cf6a3654aa5585bdc1c.jpg
this is how it looked like after skim and paint

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

@zolco , looks like you've rendered then skimmed. The way you said you just skim the next day, was as if you skimmed directly onto the vandex !, I did see it about 10 years ago where he s&c first,then vandex, then skim directly on to the vandex ! Thought it was abit strange back then, was wondering wether it could be done that way!

@zolco , looks like you've rendered then skimmed. The way you said you just skim the next day, was as if you skimmed directly onto the vandex !, I did see it about 10 years ago where he s&c first,then vandex, then skim directly on to the vandex ! Thought it was abit strange back then, was wondering wether it could be done that way!
Yes it's just floated out in vandex, was equivalent to thistle dri-coat and then just skimmed it. It wasn't tanked or slurry coated or anything, the wall got chopped back, injected, floated then skimmed.

Yes it's just floated out in vandex, was equivalent to thistle dri-coat and then just skimmed it. It wasn't tanked or slurry coated or anything, the wall got chopped back, injected, floated then skimmed.

Ok with you now, no this guy actually skimmed over the vandex slurry. Strange one I no.

Ideally you need to get on to tanking the next day, its all to do with the curing process. I read somewhere if you leave it to dry out then start to go over it then there is a chance the coats won't stick to each other and it will go boxy ?

I always get on it next day, yeah it does condensate a lot tanking. I tend to use renderlite or insulated boards these days. A lot faster that S&C and a S&C scratch slides like hell on tanking.

More to point what the fooook is the crazy scratch pattern all about?

Nice consistent wave with a proper scarifier for me far better key for skim