Float and skim vs board and skim

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBlimework

Hi everyone

I'm new to this site, this is my first point. What's ppl opinions on the pros and cons of both float and skim (modern gypsum ) or board and skim?

I'm more of a fan of board and skim as its cleaner quicker and its the modern way that said the house I've just finished is float and skim it was the builders choice I just think its dated and there's easier methods

See not having done much dot and dab I think I float and skim is quicker. Have u ever experienced much cracking with float and set with cement?

Good question Marra, I love both equally.

in fact you have pissed me off now cos I've gotta do both tomorrow and I'm getting up at 7am and I won't be able to sleep now thinking about it

You absolute W ank er

Depends on the background, on refurb, float and set is definitely better, board And skim is good over old plastered walls as cracks don't come through, not a fan of dot and dab though myself.

i do not mind either. there is nothing in the costings. but i thing there is less chance of cracking with dot and dab.

Float and set ,but I'm old school ,old dogs and all that:huh:.in my experience spreads that prefer dot and dab can't usually float,I'm not aving a pop at anyone on here before you all come back at me lol

Last edited:
Wel I'm not even half old enuf to b old school but I prefer float and set all day long I actually enjoy ruling in. May because i excel in it ha. And it's far easier to skim floated work than boards anyday IMO

b*ll***s I just wrote a post and deleted it lol

so being brief I think f+s is a better job all round. I also think it's quicker but I am **** at boarding. I don't see skimming as a much quicker method for drying either. Iv seen god knows how many times dabs showing through a week or so later and heavy skim round beads and frames taking forever to dry. Also with s+c you can float out first, then do the boardwork and skim it last so the drying doesn't take long atall. And I agree with the earlier post. Most people iv met that prefere d+d or think floating is messy etc are usually people that aren't any good at it.

not that brief actually lol

I'd much prefer a F&S finish in my own house.

From the point of view of doing the job I prefer F&S if using S&C but would rather D&D&S than Hardwall & set.

If using S&C then materials are cheaper than D&D, especially if you use the correct amount of adhesive.

I also think that D&D only tends to be quicker if thrown up, if you are as fussy with your boarding as you would be with your floating (assuming you are) then there's no time gain.

I also think that D&D is harder on the body. When floating the heaviest thing you're holding is a HAWKful of muck as opposed to sheets of board, some of which are up to supposedly a two man lift.

They both have there place but in my opinion floating with sand and cement and the finished job gives a'lot more satisfaction and sense of achievement over dabbing boards to a wall.

How do ppl prefer to float. I usually wip a quick scratch on then top soon after.....hate one coating! I do more three coat lime work tbh

i am floating tomorrw may not like it by 4 o clock or buy the time i get home and have to lie on the floor to straighten my self out

Dot and dab will always rule on site because of drying times both offer the same values bar ceilings and wet rooms are out of the question competing against mr board unless you use sand cement
wed be better off float and setting though 70 percent of plasterers would be out of a job

S+C+S is all we ever do. have never been asked to dot + dab, not once. Which is good because it would take me twice as long!

I hate plasterboarding and as essexandy said i think its harder on your body than you give credit. Spend all day lugging clumbersome materials around generaly in small areas and by the time youve gone back and forth to yor wall putting dabs on you could be floating etc.

Though in domestics it does give you peace of mind regarding comebacks when the brick/stone works all shot etc also agree that s&c is loads better than bg backing coats but that involves cement mixer or big bath etc.

I think theres a need for a internal bagged s&c that can be knocked up with a mixer would be great for domestic refurb work etc.

zombie

I hate plasterboarding and as essexandy said i think its harder on your body than you give credit. Spend all day lugging clumbersome materials around generaly in small areas and by the time youve gone back and forth to yor wall putting dabs on you could be floating etc.

Though in domestics it does give you peace of mind regarding comebacks when the brick/stone works all shot etc also agree that s&c is loads better than bg backing coats but that involves cement mixer or big bath etc.

I think theres a need for a internal bagged s&c that can be knocked up with a mixer would be great for domestic refurb work etc.

zombie

There is mate Euromix General Purpose Mortar (CPI), dearer than site mix though as you'd expect.

well i never knew that andy!!!

where do you normaly buy that from mate?

zombie

That's the down side, you can, as far as I'm aware only get it direct from Euromix and I doubt they'd deliver less than a pallet load at a time. Of course there is also Weber OCR but that's dearer again.

Float and set the thing that gets me with boarding is the awkwards cut your always havin to mate when with floating you just plaster around them plus lets face it its a much harder skill and you feel a lot better when its finished haha

Float and set ,but I'm old school ,old dogs and all that:huh:.in my experience spreads that prefer dot and dab can't usually float,I'm not aving a pop at anyone on here before you all come back at me lol

No, fair point there I think. The thought of loads of floating out would make me feel less confident than dot and dab because thats what I do more of and I haven't got years and years behind me

I'd much prefer a F&S finish in my own house.

From the point of view of doing the job I prefer F&S if using S&C but would rather D&D&S than Hardwall & set.

If using S&C then materials are cheaper than D&D, especially if you use the correct amount of adhesive.

I also think that D&D only tends to be quicker if thrown up, if you are as fussy with your boarding as you would be with your floating (assuming you are) then there's no time gain.

I also think that D&D is harder on the body. When floating the heaviest thing you're holding is a HAWKful of muck as opposed to sheets of board, some of which are up to supposedly a two man lift.
i disagree m8 that dry lining is harder on the body. when 2 coating yur working 2 suction and mabe putting 30 or 40 bags on a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.