Float and skim pricing opinions

Members online

BigK

Private Member
Just a quick one, yes or no answers will suffice, I will tell you why I'm asking shortly......
The lads that supply gear firstly.....
Would your whole price supply & fix be cheaper/ dearer or the same for s&c and skim, or hardwall and skim.
Labour only lads; would you expect to get paid more for s&c and skim than hardwall and skim??

Personally (labour only) I wouldn't expect any more money for using s&c,
It's floating and skimming, that's it imo.
Not talking small jobs here by the way where hardwall would be beneficial to get out the door quicker. Big jobs.
Thoughts please!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would want more for applying sand and cement because it's heavier, your mixes need to be right every time, harder to handball about before its mixed, longer to set before skimming and my personal opinion more skill is needed. I would probably be slightly cheaper if not the same if I was supplying but not dearer but depends on the job ie more than one floor

Takes me back ! those were the days ,charge a bit more ,easy to carry hardwall into a room and knock it up ,mixer outside for sand /cement ,then hod it in ,just my thoughts

I would want more for applying sand and cement because it's heavier, your mixes need to be right every time, harder to handball about before its mixed, longer to set before skimming and my personal opinion more skill is needed. I would probably be slightly cheaper if not the same if I was supplying but not dearer but depends on the job ie more than one floor
Through a machine it'll cost more for s&c and skim
Traditional would be cheaper to supply than hardwall

And don't forget if you supply that goes against your taxes at the end of the year which means if you charge labour only a bit more on top. The rest has been covered by the posts above

It would be cheaper to supply obviously, would you expect to pay more for s&c over hardwall labour only??
Should have said houses really, but just after a general consensus.

More money for s&c more time more effort longer to dry.

When i use hardwall its like heaven all I do is push sand cement and if it ant mixed right its nothing but skip value

we would charge about the same to supply and fit sand and cement and hardwall.
hardwall is lighter to use, and skims easy. so areas are finished off quickly. hard work in the mornings lighter in the afternoons.
sand and cement needs to cure before you can skim.
hardwall on upper floors, we would load up to 3rd story by forklift. if higher you need a hoist.
sand we would pump through our screed pump up to the 6th floor then a second screed pump to pump it to the higher floors.

I'd go along with it being heavier etc.
Not sure longer to dry constitutes more money.....
I find the fact I can float all day long, and skim all day long results in covering more metres on the whole.?

You are also setting up twice in the same rooms to skim using sand and cement.

Id defo want more labour wise for s&c big k against hardwall..if supplying always add more on to cover any filling out that u havnt anticipated etc plus If I'm buying gear I'm adding 15-20% on cost of materials all day long

Moving a spotboard?

It's nit picking I know but that's what I thought you was after :) don't forget water and some guys on here are lugging about ten trowels lol if only they had the flynnybox ;) you are moving more than a spot board your moving everything else back which takes up time on a price :)

we have been contra charged by builders if sand has been left on site unused. if you do not tip the sand on banker boards you can lose half a ton of sand a load. hardwall is easier to move around the site.

But you have to set up for two different operations in the same day with hardwall?
Hardwall will take a hell of a lot more water too?? More humping bags about whereas the labourer will just be feeding the s&c from outside?
I asked for opinions, and each to their own as always.....
I know for a fact though that I won't cover more ground using hardwall than I do now using s&c.
Might be a bit easier alright but ultimately I won't get out of a house any quicker.
Reason I ask is Irish gypsum are trying to push hardwall over here, it's a 'new' product, and they are telling anybody that will listen, builders, merchants etc, that it will be a cheaper job.
Even though the material cost 'will be roughly the same' they will save on labour.
They are misselling the product.
Rather than promote it on its true values, no mapping, finished areas completed quicker etc they are saying something that's not true imo.
Imagine builders I do work for expecting my price to decrease on the fact they are buying hardwall for the next house!!
Ludicrous

But you have to set up for two different operations in the same day with hardwall?
Hardwall will take a hell of a lot more water too?? More humping bags about whereas the labourer will just be feeding the s&c from outside?
I asked for opinions, and each to their own as always.....
I know for a fact though that I won't cover more ground using hardwall than I do now using s&c.
Might be a bit easier alright but ultimately I won't get out of a house any quicker.
Reason I ask is Irish gypsum are trying to push hardwall over here, it's a 'new' product, and they are telling anybody that will listen, builders, merchants etc, that it will be a cheaper job.
Even though the material cost 'will be roughly the same' they will save on labour.
They are misselling the product.
Rather than promote it on its true values, no mapping, finished areas completed quicker etc they are saying something that's not true imo.
Imagine builders I do work for expecting my price to decrease on the fact they are buying hardwall for the next house!!
Ludicrous

How is it a cheaper job? How is the price similar for the gear sand and cement has always been cheaper than bagged products unless somethings changed. Let's say a ton bag of sand or three quarters of a ton which I think you get so around 700 kg plus let's say ten bags of cement for arguments sake there is 950 kg cost around £100, decide that by 25kg bags of hard wall is 38 bags at say £8 it's a bit more than £100. Am I missing something here?

How is it a cheaper job? How is the price similar for the gear sand and cement has always been cheaper than bagged products unless somethings changed. Let's say a ton bag of sand or three quarters of a ton which I think you get so around 700 kg plus let's say ten bags of cement for arguments sake there is 950 kg cost around £100, decide that by 25kg bags of hard wall is 38 bags at say £8 it's a bit more than £100. Am I missing something here?

Your not wrong flynny but not to that extent, you can't go purely off weight as that doesn't tell you how far the stuff goes.

Your not wrong flynny but not to that extent, you can't go purely off weight as that doesn't tell you how far the stuff goes.
knew I was missing something yeh water content needs to be deducted but it's a hell of a lot difference on a ton.

I reckon over here it costing (at a guesstimate) less than a euro a metre for s&c to float.
If they charge a tenner for hardwall it is 3.33 a metre.
So why don't they promote the gear on something factual?

in my area there are upteen sand pits and very good price to purchase sand direct.
the sand is loaded on trains and taken to london it then becomes expensive. when you are working in tight spaces like london building sites there is nowhere to place sand. hardwall is more common in these areas.

Lets say for that particular job you will need bonding for £200 labour £400
Using sand and cement - materials £100 labour £500

Which one is more profitable for you?

It takes the same sort of effort and skill although it's lighter so why would the labour rate be cheaper, the reason alot of builders like sand cement is material cost is sod all if buying it by the load, hardwall can be loaded out in rooms so saves you time, can also be skimmed same day but depending on the blocks you can still have a full day roughing out and skim the next day dubbing out is easier to

If done by the same person the quality will be the same.

the quality of the material,not the person, hardwall just add water you have the correct mix.
sand and cement, what ever the labourer places into the mixer, if he can remember!
british gypsum does not recognize sand and cement as a backing plaster.

I bet I've not floated a wall in five years if not longer with anything other than sand and cement. Might have to do with the property types I normally float in, might have used the odd bag of bonding to put something straight but never buy backing plasters.

the quality of the material,not the person, hardwall just add water you have the correct mix.
sand and cement, what ever the labourer places into the mixer, if he can remember!
Sand and cement mixed properly is a far superior product to any modern backing plaster in my opinion and has stood the test of time.

You also have different backgrounds which can determine your mix ratios with sand and cement, the same can't be said for bagged products if they are all identical. Don't think they recognise PVA either