Float and set

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1dan

Hi everyone,

Plasterer with limited experience, quick question, would you skim the ceiling first and then float and set the walls or the other way round?

Ceiling then the walls if it was me skim the ceiling and through couple of walls depending on the room size in one gage if your quick enough

Float the walls first so you don't disturb the ceiling with the a straight edge.
That way you can always guarantee the wall is plum and the ceiling line is straight!
topspreadplasterers.co.uk

If you've got limited experience do it at your own peril!! And thats about all i gotta say about that!! Forest!!

I know it's not always possible but this is how I like to do it,float the walls then board the ceilings,scrim and skim the ceiling and finally skim the walls.:RpS_thumbup:

I know it's not always possible but this is how I like to do it,float the walls then board the ceilings,scrim and skim the ceiling and finally skim the walls.:RpS_thumbup:

I hope that's a piss take. If not I really don't understand why you would do that

There are many reasons butte main ones are there is no ceiling(boards or skimmed as mentioned above) to damage or get in the way,it allows you to scrim the joint whitch is surely one of the most important as some above said they would skim the ceiling before they float the walls this not being able to use scrim.the other especially when floating a whole house with s&c(did a fair few when taught,not so many now) is if you float the whole house then start board and skim ceilings by the time you have done the ceilings the walls will be ready for skim so you don't have to leave site. A lot of it is prob just the way I was taught and feel comfortable doing it this way.as I said though it's not always possible to do it way,if it was just one room I'd board ceiling first as float in the morn and board ceiling same day wouldn't work.:RpS_thumbup:

If you float first then board if there is any movement (which there will be) your gonna get a crack because the board will be just touching the floating, you will have a slight gap, Also the joist closest to the wall on both sides will be easier to screw to if you haven't floated the walls, there is a right way and a wrong way there isn't just do it how you think, this place is a joke sometimes :)

What happens when you re board a ceiling?it doesn't crack,more than one way to skin a cat and from all the above responses everyone chooses to do it differently.

What happens when you re board a ceiling?it doesn't crack,more than one way to skin a cat and from all the above responses everyone chooses to do it differently.
Yep your right there is more than one way To do a job the wrong way round, carry on.

It's the same order for a single room or a whole house when boarding and/or floating then skimming.

I ring @Nisus, (or @Olican if the job's near the equator) he'd come round and do stuff with trowels, buckets and whatnot. Then I'd give him some money and wait for it to dry. :RpS_thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the same order for a single room or a whole house when boarding and/or floating then skimming.

I ring @Nisus, (or @Olican if the job's near the equator) he'd come round and do stuff with trowels, buckets and whatnot. Then I'd give him some money and wait for it to dry. :RpS_thumbsup:

Is Nisus still wearing Teal polo shirts these days? It brings our the colour in his eyes apparently

Last edited by a moderator:
The chances are the ceiling line will crack with scrim whatever way round you do it,for the record I board first and set , drop scaffold ,float and set especially in hardwall,I would still scrim onto the brickwork as well, in sand and cement I might board , float in s&c and by the time I've finished floating ( if it was a whole house) the first rooms will be ready for setting, you can then set a ceiling and wall together.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.