Float and set

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty34

Been a member 4 a few weeks now and it's my first post guys so take it easy on me ha ha :RpS_wink: i priced a job yesterday , not a big room but a decent size ( 5m x4m x2.5m high) she wanted a ceiling re boarded and skimmed and 3 walls rendered , floated then set( plus little potchy bits like an old fireplace bricked up before being rendered over , and a small bulkhead built over the patio doors there ) i quoted her 700 quid labour ( i know pricing is a dodgy subject :RpS_scared: but with tax , fuel etc it don't come to that much in your arse pocket !) i could see her looking at her other half as if i'd quoted 7 grand ! do you more experienced spreads on here think thats a decent quote ?? ( been in the game 7 years myself ) i think i should've charged a lot more now thinking about it !! I know shes looking for more quotes now after i gave her mine :RpS_mad: no doubt some tax dodger or dole bum will do it for 40 quid a day or something :RpS_mad: ( sorry for the rant fellas lol ) anyways would love to hear wat you all think ! hope you all had a good bank holiday :RpS_biggrin:

cheers guys i knew i should've charged more , i was a bit worse for wear after the bank holiday sunday !!:RpS_cursing: hopefully a tax dodger will come along and do it 4 less ! lol shes pi***d on her chips now anyways after thinking that was expensive ! lol

Why not tell the customer to get some other quotes and let you know how they went ?.

If you went in cheaper, they will see yours is the best price.

might be a blessing in disguise if you lose it cos that price seems canny cheap like

to be honest m8 if someone does it cheaper than that then good luck 2 em i say ! they can have the bloody job , you get wat u pay for :)

And then they get u in , and u think **** workin for peanuts !

Put it down to experience.

The customer is entitled to look for another quote.They have no idea of the cost or work involved.I would out of curiosity like to know who, and what price got the job.

It seems a bit of a myth, this 40 quid a day somebody undercutting everyone...why go through all that trouble to get payed what you could by laboring ?.

Same as was said to me you would think after 7 yr on the job you could put a price in and know its competitive.

Always give an extensively written quote, itemising every little thing with a separate price. That way they tend not look directly at the bottom line and start sucking in air.

Put it down to experience.

The customer is entitled to look for another quote.They have no idea of the cost or work involved.I would out of curiosity like to know who, and what price got the job.

It seems a bit of a myth, this 40 quid a day somebody undercutting everyone...why go through all that trouble to get payed what you could by laboring ?.

Same as was said to me you would think after 7 yr on the job you could put a price in and know its competitive.
Ain't no myth, I know of a boy round my way who is plastering. for £50 a day plus his benefits:RpS_mad:
so don't kid yerself that it doesn't happen.

yeah i know boys working for 40 odd pound a day lol :RpS_mad: baffling ! and that was for a firm . a guy phoned me up the other week and wanted me to sub for 80 a day !! so i told him to f*** right off !! :RpS_mad:

Always give an extensively written quote, itemising every little thing with a separate price. That way they tend not look directly at the bottom line and start sucking in air.

Once upon a time there was a room that needed to be boarded and skimmed.
The ceiling was high and would take the little plastering gnome allllll day so was £230
The walls were an odd shape and colour which confused the gnome so took 2 days to skim £340
There were ghostly sounds coming from the fireplace which scared the plastering gnome so he had to allow for the wizard to remove, £245.56 ( unusual wizard tax)
The bulkhead over the patio was not high, scary or possessed so £125

Please note all is inclusive of vat but a step ladder must be provided so as to get to toilet and make a cuppa.

Scotty Dotty Plastering.

We all make mistakes in pricing jobs, most you get right, some you click and some you lose on. I used to stress like hell if i didnt make my target earnings in a day. Nowadays with this economy and much less work on offer and soooo many diluters ( newbies coming off courses) its just so much more competetive. Trick is to keep on working in my book. There will always be someone around the corner who ll undercut you. Just put your quote in at what feels right at the time as to how desperate you are for the job and see if it comes back. Ive done some new builds at ridiculously low psm prices this last two years. yet anything tricky and awkward all these newbies tend to shy away from so you make it back there. In busy times ive had them working for me leaving at lunchtime as theyre ' not used to that type of work' Apparently theyre only comfortable doing new easy board skimming work, oh and they dont touch ceilings above 2.4m high.... wtf

I have priced a job once and the potential customer turned to me and said "Good god I've had a quote a 1/4 of the price of yours!" I said "fair enough but that's what I can do it for at best".
A couple of months after I was driving past the job and it was being haked off!
I got a phone call later asking if I could do the job! My reply "sorry I'm fully booked with work for next 8 months."

I have priced a job once and the potential customer turned to me and said "Good god I've had a quote a 1/4 of the price of yours!" I said "fair enough but that's what I can do it for at best".
A couple of months after I was driving past the job and it was being haked off!
I got a phone call later asking if I could do the job! My reply "sorry I'm fully booked with work for next 8 months."

Im sure everyone can relate to this numours times more times that I can remember, there's a lot of these customers about I wouldn't ever bother wasting my breath tbh, you can tell what they will be like when you are confirming the phone call more interested in the price than the product or service!! Wankers!

To be honest lads i should've known better , i've been doing this for 7 years , nearly 8 now so theres no excuse really lol . as soon as i started looking at the job the old alarm bells were going off ! :-0 if she phones she'll just have the old 'sorry im fully booked routine lol ' anyways hope everyone has a good weekend :RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.