Float and Set the only way

Vincey

Private Member
To actually start getting jobs with all the base prepped by me , not all the time but more often than not people seem to only want quote for skimming there s**t board work or if I price for it they do it themselves and think they have done a great job when it's absolutely shite , causes me more work and tbh am sick of trying to put all the shite right , couldn't stop thinking today something has to change , skimming over old s**t hole Victorian walls is easier than skimming over the board work guy had done today, I'm sure most of the time people seem to think they saving loads of money by not getting me to board out stuff (if it's needed ) so I'm thinking I have to take advice off one of my mates and start absolutely slating plasterboard when I'm out quoting and advice float and set as the only option , then hopefully all the two bit have a go heros will be wiped out of the equation and I then end up skimming over some half decent walls ,
Does anyone out right refuse to skim if they don't do the boarding ? Maybe that's an option too ?
Something has to change

And it is my first day back so probably am a bit moody but was thinking all this before Christmas too

To actually start getting jobs with all the base prepped by me , not all the time but more often than not people seem to only want quote for skimming there s**t board work or if I price for it they do it themselves and think they have done a great job when it's absolutely shite , causes me more work and tbh am sick of trying to put all the shite right , couldn't stop thinking today something has to change , skimming over old s**t hole Victorian walls is easier than skimming over the board work guy had done today, I'm sure most of the time people seem to think they saving loads of money by not getting me to board out stuff (if it's needed ) so I'm thinking I have to take advice off one of my mates and start absolutely slating plasterboard when I'm out quoting and advice float and set as the only option , then hopefully all the two bit have a go heros will be wiped out of the equation and I then end up skimming over some half decent walls ,
Does anyone out right refuse to skim if they don't do the boarding ? Maybe that's an option too ?
Something has to change
Lol

A one man crusade!!! The mood you been in I suggest either you have a permanent holiday or don’t go on them at all lol

Floating a house out in sand and cement at the moment. It’s been a while since I’ve done it and it’s becoming more infrequent. Really enjoying it! Love to go back to s&c float and set with everything.

I only skim my boarding dabbing and floating other than that I won't do it because as said above 90% of the time it's dog rough

Buliders are the biggest bellends who think they can dab:endesacuerdo::endesacuerdo:
Today’s builder boarding in front of me turned up on push bike , board joints were rocking with slightest bit of pressure on the skim , in the end I gave up worrying about the hair line crease formed

Today’s builder boarding in front of me turned up on push bike , board joints were rocking with slightest bit of pressure on the skim , in the end I gave up worrying about the hair line crease formed
You would have fun skimming some the boarding we be over and it's meant be done by joiners or boarders themselves. It's rarely pretty. Angles are mental. We in a bungalow, the upstairs hip roof, should see the angle where ceiling meets wall. Will need ten mm of bonding in places to get it into shape.

Problem is if you criticise it then your called a moaning c**t.

Are you serious, nearly everytime I price even say for example board and skim a ceiling most people ask me “and how much just to skim it” surely this can’t just be me ?
I genuinely never get this and I'd be stern about it, looking over the rim of my glasses stern!

Something has to change
I had a guy call me recently.. ceiling and walls cracking I had to explain when he dabbed the walls some of the boards were literally flapping and he didn’t stagger joints on the ceiling. He had nothing to say.... just silence, I won’t work for him again. It’s not just boarding it’s customers or builders bonding in chases and filling holes causes problems aswell. Always some dick wants to moan about something, I should have a thicker skin but it really bugs me when people start whinging about things beyond my control.

To actually start getting jobs with all the base prepped by me , ...
Something has to change

If the boarding is shite I'll tell the client I'll have to charge to make good/re-board. Quote the white book at them and point out the snags and leave it to them. Plenty of work arount without doing free remedial.
Or do quote in writing and state that you can't be held responsible for future arising defects due to incorrectly installed boarding.

Not long ago I went to quote for a kitchen skim that someone had boarded (suspect the client tbh), wasn't hard to snag as you could see 'plaster other side' printed everywhere! Quoted for re-doing it and never heard back. No doubt some yard-dog probably skimmed it for tuppence but that's not my problem.

If the boarding is shite I'll tell the client I'll have to charge to make good/re-board. Quote the white book at them and point out the snags and leave it to them. Plenty of work arount without doing free remedial.
Or do quote in writing and state that you can't be held responsible for future arising defects due to incorrectly installed boarding.

Not long ago I went to quote for a kitchen skim that someone had boarded (suspect the client tbh), wasn't hard to snag as you could see 'plaster other side' printed everywhere! Quoted for re-doing it and never heard back. No doubt some yard-dog probably skimmed it for tuppence but that's not my problem.
Had that myself before Xmas garage conversion all the boards back to front made my excuses saying I was too busy and f**k*d it off. No thank you.

I had a guy call me recently.. ceiling and walls cracking I had to explain when he dabbed the walls some of the boards were literally flapping and he didn’t stagger joints on the ceiling. He had nothing to say.... just silence, I won’t work for him again. It’s not just boarding it’s customers or builders bonding in chases and filling holes causes problems aswell. Always some dick wants to moan about something, I should have a thicker skin but it really bugs me when people start whinging about things beyond my control.
It's always the plasterers fault that's why.

It's always the plasterers fault that's why.
I’ve had a dreadful day of this bullshit, spent the entire day snagging my work mates skimming, site agent shining lights over walls complaining and now I’ve found myself in the awkward position of snagging all the skimming, luckily none of it is my work but I feel awful shining lights over my mates walls finding and rectifying fault. I’m actually pretty unhappy about the situation but the decorators are stirring s**t up and now the customer is involved along with the project management, everyone looking to point fingers and blame. It’s unreasonable to point fluorescent lights at walls in funny angles? What are the guidelines for this sort of thing?

It's in the NHBC guidance somewhere, but I know that sidelighting walls is not an acceptable way to inspect the finish.

Walls should be inspected under normal lighting for that room and from a distance of 2m+
Really got me a bit wound up today, feel like a scab slightly betraying my mates. I’m just trying to keep everyone happy and be agreeable. Think it will need some discussion tomorrow.

I’ve had a dreadful day of this bullshit, spent the entire day snagging my work mates skimming, site agent shining lights over walls complaining and now I’ve found myself in the awkward position of snagging all the skimming, luckily none of it is my work but I feel awful shining lights over my mates walls finding and rectifying fault. I’m actually pretty unhappy about the situation but the decorators are stirring s**t up and now the customer is involved along with the project management, everyone looking to point fingers and blame. It’s unreasonable to point fluorescent lights at walls in funny angles? What are the guidelines for this sort of thing?[/
Really got me a bit wound up today, feel like a scab slightly betraying my mates. I’m just trying to keep everyone happy and be agreeable. Think it will need some discussion tomorrow.
just tell them it is not fair to shine a light on the wall from a different angle to the light when it was plastered also was a time when proper painters gave new plaster a quick wipe with a sanding pole before painting to key the plaster if nothing else

I don’t care what the boardings like , I’ll price to do the job right whatever that entails in relation to the boarding , I’d wash the clients car as long as he pays me what I want , i keep my mouth shut and hold my hand out

I don’t care what the boardings like , I’ll price to do the job right whatever that entails in relation to the boarding , I’d wash the clients car as long as he pays me what I want , i keep my mouth shut and hold my hand out
:ROFLMAO: