Fixing stop beads

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

herds

When i did a course we had these big nails, clout i think they were call and we'd tap them onto stop adn corner beads and that was that.... in my house I have plaster walls that need beads and last night the nails just bouncd off the wall... i then tried a screw.......dreadful idea, stuck out of the wall and moved the bead all over the place.

I then remembered seeing that people use bonding to hold them up?? but surely you'd have to a: have someone there to hold the beading against the wall while the other applies the bonding and b: hold the beading in place until the bondign had gone off.

Also, would bonding be strong enough to hold the beading in place even after 30 minutes when its gone off? surely a tap with the trowel would knock it out of position?

Cheers

Is it 3mm thin coat stop ends?? if so bed them on with skim, if it's the bigger stop ends then bed them on with bonding if nails ain't working?

Last edited:
Same as Fatarm stick em with skim :RpS_thumbup:
Or spray contact adhesive :RpS_wink:

When i did a course we had these big nails, clout i think they were call and we'd tap them onto stop adn corner beads and that was that.... in my house I have plaster walls that need beads and last night the nails just bouncd off the wall... i then tried a screw.......dreadful idea, stuck out of the wall and moved the bead all over the place.

I then remembered seeing that people use bonding to hold them up?? but surely you'd have to a: have someone there to hold the beading against the wall while the other applies the bonding and b: hold the beading in place until the bondign had gone off.

Also, would bonding be strong enough to hold the beading in place even after 30 minutes when its gone off? surely a tap with the trowel would knock it out of position?

Cheers

If I was you and not good at sticking beads and you cant get a fixing. I would scrim the bead onto the wall, then skim a thin coat of bonding, finish or adhesive over the wing to hold it in place and let that go off before skimming.

Cant fix wont fix................now there's an idea for a tv show.......might ask Irish if he wants to host it.......

Oh aye just use a bit of skim - a dab either end and middle then push on and sight up, tap as appropriate and check margins. I usually have a bit of bead handy to put up next to it to see how it butts up.
If you have trouble fixing beads onto existing dowel beads a staple gun comes in useful (staples can be tapped home if necessary).

hi everyone finally got a chance to give a tip yeaaa (been lurcking for a while)
i use no nails or gripfill then hold it in place with a bit of masking tape placed across the bead and each side of the wall its attached too. works a treat if the brick etc is too hard for nails sets pritty quik aswell
cheers rik

Surely common sense dictates , stick em on , really am i being that harsh ! And yes it may be in the newbie section but how many times has this been covered in other threads, do a SEARCH FFS

hehe ok, i'll try with a bit of skim.

Just can't see how it will hold to the wall without falling off as soon as I let go.

Ah well, i'll give it a bash and take a picture if it falls onto the floor 2 minutes later :D

Just can't see how it will hold to the wall without falling off as soon as I let go.

Ah well, i'll give it a bash and take a picture if it falls onto the floor 2 minutes later :D
Try mixing a bit of stiff skim.

Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously, youll be amazed.

Mix a bit of pva in with the skim, it'll help glue the beads on.... :RpS_thumbsup:

you will get the end of the nail or screw just to hold the bead in place, fill with whatever finish or bonding let it set, pull the screws out happy days :)

Two skim beads, one is stuck on then skimmed. The other is scrimmed on then skimmed.

Which one is stronger?

Who gives a fcuk
If a tree falls in a forest and there's no one else there to hear it, does the joiner clear up after himself?

As long as the beads sight up and the margins are right who cares.. Only use scrim on an angle where there's a gap between reveal board and wall if its had to be pulled out.

This was the first I heard of it, a lad string lined and fixed long nails to the wall for bell cast, rested the bell cast on these then stuck them by pushing gear onto the bead, loads failed ask Simps he was there

P.s we didn't do the beadding lol

Status
Not open for further replies.