Fixing Permaguard 3mm membrane

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeD

Private Member
I'm in the process on fixing Permagard 3mm Damp membrane with 50mm plugs onto damp wall...

Anyone had problems with hammering the plugs home? Where it is damp I find using a 7mm drill bit, the plugs don't hammer home, whereas a 8mm drill bit the plugs are too lose...I've been trying to clear the damp dust from the hole using the 7mm drill bit...but this is time consuming, any tips? a 7.5mm drill bit? this doesn't see to be standard but I'm wondering if the extra .5mm will make a difference.

Go smaller again until it hammers in well.
Try not to go in the mortar joints either. There always to soft.
It brick or stone?
Are you studding in front or bonding over?

Drill 8mm holes with the hammer off. If the fixings are poor the extra weight maybe to much. Studding out maybe the best option.

Go smaller again until it hammers in well.
Try not to go in the mortar joints either. There always to soft.
It brick or stone?
Are you studding in front or bonding over?

I've been going into the brick, problem I'm having is the plugs won't hammer in fully, around 10/15mm short, I've tried drilling deeper holes. No problem in the dry areas only the wet areas.

Spoke to someone today and they said, use the 8mm, take the grinder to the bit just slightly to take the edge off it...

Thanks Carlos...I'll try 8mm without hammer.

Unfortunately I've got some holes in the membrane where I couldn't get plugs in and had to remove, I've plugged them with silicone...hope this will be ok.

I'll be d&d over the top.

I've been going into the brick, problem I'm having is the plugs won't hammer in fully, around 10/15mm short, I've tried drilling deeper holes. No problem in the dry areas only the wet areas.

Spoke to someone today and they said, use the 8mm, take the grinder to the bit just slightly to take the edge off it...

Thanks Carlos...I'll try 8mm without hammer.

Unfortunately I've got some holes in the membrane where I couldn't get plugs in and had to remove, I've plugged them with silicone...hope this will be ok.

I'll be d&d over the top.

I cut the ends with my snips if they get like that.
Have you got the join tape? Cut some of that and stick it in and over the holes.

If your using above ground then silicone should be ok as long as you over fill it enough as your not going to get water running through the membrane.

I cut the ends with my snips if they get like that.
Have you got the join tape? Cut some of that and stick it in and over the holes.

If your using above ground then silicone should be ok as long as you over fill it enough as your not going to get water running through the membrane.

Thanks...I took a grinder to the 8mm bit in the end...it was fine then.

Do you wrap the membrane round corners? and have you ever had condensation on the membrane?

Thanks...I took a grinder to the 8mm bit in the end...it was fine then.

Do you wrap the membrane round corners? and have you ever had condensation on the membrane?

Yea you can or cut and tape as it's easier!

Below ground I'll try and wrap, above I'll tape usually.

You'll never know unless you take back off what you've covered it with if condensation is there unless you see and issue.
If I'm studding off it I'll usually put a vent or 2 in the walls to help the air circulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.