First use of uni finish

dannykela

first use of Uni finish today,

Find it sits slightly longer than multi.. the finish seems a lot more glossy.

Anyone else find it like this?

first use of Uni finish today,

Find it sits slightly longer than multi.. the finish seems a lot more glossy.

Anyone else find it like this?
Nice one , I use it all the time in winter especially, know what you mean glossy like finish is imo the polymer additives and because its same formula as old carlite finish.
What did you use it over ?

Welcome along to forum

Used it over about four different substrates TBH, patch work quilt job.

I'm converted!

Been on the forum for about 4 years, just read a lot and not posted. So guilty as charged

It is a bitch sometimes but sod it some you win some you don't even my cousin who I work with sometimes had a rant at me the other day but then loved it on the right job .. gyprime and thistle spray finish turned out to be my favourite plaster of choice tbh last year, they all have slightly different timings to trowel with good and bad points to using them, hey that's plastering.

Slightly longer setting than multi? By that do you mean if you used multi you could have done another 2 gauges, went home, argued with the wife, cut the grass, cleared out the shed, made the tea, walked the dog, washed the car, cleared out back of van then made up with the wife all the while you are just giving your unifinish its second trowel?

Nice one , I use it all the time in winter especially, know what you mean glossy like finish is imo the polymer additives and because its same formula as old carlite finish.
What did you use it over ?

Welcome along to forum

I said it was like carlite when I first used it a few years back is the true Pete about the mix?

Slightly longer setting than multi? By that do you mean if you used multi you could have done another 2 gauges, went home, argued with the wife, cut the grass, cleared out the shed, made the tea, walked the dog, washed the car, cleared out back of van then made up with the wife all the while you are just giving your unifinish its second trowel?

that made me laugh

Don't see the point other than spunking money away?
A properly prepared surface will always do a better job.

shiney artex ceiling tomorrow, get there 8.30am mix on at 9....home by 12.15... costs an extra fiver customer paying that...in the cold dread to think how long the pva would take. Dont use it often but its handy at times

Surely this isn't true @Vincey also @hstoke tell him nothing could possibly go wrong or do a better job
Tbh mate come to the conclusion lately that if spread can't use a bag or 2 and make it work they basically SHITE plasterer ..

No offence intended like , just saying..

Or they site spread :LOL: and can only skim plasterboards or they just old farts :risas:

Tbh mate come to the conclusion lately that if spread can't use a bag or 2 and make it work they basically SHITE plasterer ..

No offence intended like , just saying..

Or they site spread :LOL: and can only skim plasterboards or they just old farts :risas:
You have offended me on at least three levels!;)

Only reason I ain't used it is cos I can't justify the cost on my jobs and if it did fail not that it will I would lose out more

When new stuff comes out there will always be a difference of opinion getting a bit boring now ain't it some love it some have used it and don't like it some haven't used it but still hate it can please all the people

Can't please all the people but far more dislike it than like it and hardly anyone is buying it. The product is failing on (and off) the shelves.

Nearly bought some today that was out of date but they would only knock 10% off :( I was gonna pregrit anyway but thought I might get a bargain and the gear is nice to use.

shiney artex ceiling tomorrow, get there 8.30am mix on at 9....home by 12.15... costs an extra fiver customer paying that...in the cold dread to think how long the pva would take. Dont use it often but its handy at times

Here's the thing, I wouldn't use PVA on a shiney artex ceiling any longer ... its ok if its sucking it in, but not on a gloss finish where it just drips off.
There aren't many occasions when I can't skim Betokontakt within half an hour & so what if it's still a bit wet.

Next time your sticking some boards on, spread some dab onto something glossy. Paint, tiles or even a window.
Next day see how easily it will scrape off with a trowel ... and that is with a dedicated adhesive.

I see Uni Finish as part of a belt and braces process & not a replacement wonder product.

One can only conclude that it's a uni failure ladies and gentlemen, so be warned and give the client the option of it,do not just use it without them knowing.

I used uni today. BG sent a pallet down to Torquay to try out. So firstly I must say I used it on a blue grit covered artex ceiling, the builder gritted it earlier this week so I can only comment on the finish of the plaster and it's workability not about it adhering to certain surfaces. Firstly when I mixed it up it looked smoother and finer. It's nice to spread, not gluey or sticky like some people have been saying. I can't say I noticed it hanging wet for ages like some people claim. It troweled up nicely. Overall I was impressed. I enjoyed using it. Like I say I can only comment on what I found using it over a treated surface, I'll only be able to say for certain when I use it without pva or grit but the early signs are promising.

Give it a go on a Matt painted wall, see how you get on
Mentally that's a big progression it just doesn't seem right, does it? I need the exact right job to try it on, a small ceiling would be good or even a wall in my own house.

Mentally that's a big progression it just doesn't seem right, does it? I need the exact right job to try it on, a small ceiling would be good or even a wall in my own house.

I must admit artex it's ok on but does hang about, Matt walls you need a pair of skates handy