First time renderer !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie1977

Hi there, I've recently (yesterday) built the firepit in the picture and I'm looking to render the brick.

I'm not totally lazy and have been reading forums and following links for hours, and I just want some simple yes/no's.

From what I have gleaned, am I too:

1. Paint bricks with SBR/EVA
(do I let this dry?)
(do I wet the wall before applying scratch coat?
2. Apply a render mix of 4:1 sharp washed (plasterers) sand to cement to about 10mm thick
3. After about 15 minutes scratch the surface in wavy lines
4. Wet every 12 hours for 2 days and cover with tarpaulin to keep moisture in
5. Leave for 3 days to fully dry
6. Final coat mix of 6:1:1 sharp washed sand, cement, lime and add in Sika 1 Waterproofer 5 Litre
7. After application use a wooden/plastic float to smooth surface
8. Then I intend to use a paint roller to stipple (that the right word) the final surface

your advice would be greatly appreciated

20140622_195625.jpg

Hi there, I've recently (yesterday) built the firepit in the picture and I'm looking to render the brick.

I'm not totally lazy and have been reading forums and following links for hours, and I just want some simple yes/no's.

From what I have gleaned, am I too:

1. Paint bricks with SBR/EVA
(do I let this dry?)
(do I wet the wall before applying scratch coat?
2. Apply a render mix of 4:1 sharp washed (plasterers) sand to cement to about 10mm thick
3. After about 15 minutes scratch the surface in wavy lines
4. Wet every 12 hours for 2 days and cover with tarpaulin to keep moisture in
5. Leave for 3 days to fully dry
6. Final coat mix of 6:1:1 sharp washed sand, cement, lime and add in Sika 1 Waterproofer 5 Litre
7. After application use a wooden/plastic float to smooth surface
8. Then I intend to use a paint roller to stipple (that the right word) the final surface

your advice would be greatly appreciated

View attachment 3576

no.3 Wavy or straight? the debate continues :RpS_confused:

1 no
2 lightly dampen
3 4/1 washed fine sharp to on cement ,waterproofer in mix
4 rule, fill hollows, bead .scratch when it's pulled in but not too wet/dry
5 cover if it's really hot,or wet, lightly dampen always helps
6 leave for a week before float coat ,6/1/1 sounds fine
7rule,flatten float either with plastic or wood, best if broken in,
8 not sure about this , I would of napped with the float..
9 ask for my paypal address,send me £50

Your blockwork is not bonded very well, the right hand corner will crack in no time with the fire in it.

Thank you all for your replies.....

TheWand - very constructive........I'm not trying to put anyone out of work, just enjoying having a go at a small project :glare:

STPlastering, yeah I can go from board to wall, just so many different methods on the internet and I want to do my best to avoid cracking

Olican, you know better than me........but I saw a house this morning on my way to work with wavy so I'm going to go for that. ha

Johniosaif - thanks a lot, very helpful, 2 Q's, how do you break in a plastic float? And how do you 'nap' (jokes welcomed)? Oh and the cheque is in the post :RpS_wink:

Deri, thanks I know, I've got a mate who runs an I****n so I plan on claying the whole inside of the firepit which should protect it.....and maybe cook a naan while I'm at it

Status
Not open for further replies.