First time Kitchen socket

willbuck

Hi

Just about to start fixing this little issue in our kitchen - it's a temp job as we will be re-plastering the whole wall later in the year, but the wife can't look at it anymore :) - I've gone on a plastering course so have a loose idea on how to sort:

1. PVA the area to give the plaster something to bind too
2. Fill with undercoat plaster
3. Skim a top layer (I know this won't be perfect)
4. put on some more tiles

Is that right or am I completely deluded?
Cheers everyone
JB

Attachments

• kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 140
You went on a course for that?? And still don't know? Either a shite course or you wer'nt paying attention., or lack the balls to try it.
Go for it and learn, what could be the worse that could happen? (You bail and i), the wife runs off with the spread who came round to price it, or ii) gives him one because its cheaper, ii) she does the job herself and kicks you out)

The options you gave came a little too easily... because 1. it's happened to you. 2. you were the one giving the spread or 3. you've been kicked out because your missus caught you on your hands and knees.

Thanks - seems like a nice place

Hi

Just about to start fixing this little issue in our kitchen - it's a temp job as we will be re-plastering the whole wall later in the year, but the wife can't look at it anymore :) - I've gone on a plastering course so have a loose idea on how to sort:

1. PVA the area to give the plaster something to bind too
2. Fill with undercoat plaster
3. Skim a top layer (I know this won't be perfect)
4. put on some more tiles

Is that right or am I completely deluded?
Cheers everyone
JB
Tile police would say pva, bonding coat them skim...but it's small area and tiles are small...I'd just.pva then bond out and use sbr then tile straight.over....

I know the tile adhesive say backing coats are a poor substrate substrate tiling but as I said it's a small area.....

However your house, your choice

Mix bonding and finish together once mixed just add a touch more finish fill everything out let it pick up touch of water and give it all a good trowel to smooth it over should do you right until you get the whole wall done later in the year

Its the bigger picture though. It cant be a coincidence that this trade is probably the most behind out of all now. Its so undervalued
Reading that William Miller book a while back he was saying similar stuff . Seems every generation has the same worries but we’re worrying over small stuff. Good tradespeople will always have work. If someone wants to patch plaster in their own kitchen who the hell cares?

It’s Friday! Beer time!

Its sometimes a test to do a patch to show them your skills i got 2 full houses doing daft patches.. So shouldnt always knock them.. Lesson learned

Its the bigger picture though. It cant be a coincidence that this trade is probably the most behind out of all now. Its so undervalued
Someone patching his own socket won’t affect the trade ffs. How many people fix there own cars, do there own joinery, do there own gardens? You don’t hear a mechanic moaning when someone changes his own tyre which patching a plug is the same as for us. Don’t get this massive thing on here about no one being able to touch plaster except ‘Professionals’

Someone patching his own socket won’t affect the trade ffs. How many people fix there own cars, do there own joinery, do there own gardens? You don’t hear a mechanic moaning when someone changes his own tyre which patching a plug is the same as for us. Don’t get this massive thing on here about no one being able to touch plaster except ‘Professionals’
Get back on trains Grant's are due x

exactly. I’ve saved myself 1 million at least doing the welding on my van :coffe:

It's just f**k**g ticket inspectors WE don't want touching plastering.

So youve been on a course to learn to do it yourself. Fair enough. But now you want to take work away from a plasterer and advice on how to do so
by that same measure this week I have taken work away from..

a panel beater
a roofer
a demolition company
a window fitter
a full time plasterer
a shed builder
an auto electrician
a domestic electrician
a plumber
a kitchen fitter

DIY is not a bad thing and I am sure as a plasterer you have done jobs that are not in your scope.. which makes you a DIYer as well.

I dont get the hate the on DIYers.. help them out, you never know you may need help from some skill they have in the future

exactly

exactly. I’ve saved myself 1 million at least doing the welding on my van :coffe:

Haha I am actually paying a welder to do a small repair on the 90 in a couple of weeks as it will cost me more to stop to do it than its costing to pay him :D

a panel beater
a roofer
a demolition company
a window fitter
a full time plasterer
a shed builder
an auto electrician
a domestic electrician
a plumber
a kitchen fitter

DIY is not a bad thing and I am sure as a plasterer you have done jobs that are not in your scope.. which makes you a DIYer as well.

I dont get the hate the on DIYers.. help them out, you never know you may need help from some skill they have in the future
Think someone must have gave abuse to a diy post a while back and got a few likes for it and the rest just jumped on board. There’s no other reason I can think off at all.

Haha I am actually paying a welder to do a small repair on the 90 in a couple of weeks as it will cost me more to stop to do it than its costing to pay him :D

been so busy Danny, that when my van went in for mot recently and needed a bit of welding, that I begrudgingly paid someone else! Couldn’t face it tbf, but wasn’t a stupid amount. As regards this thread, pees me off! I did some welding as a diyer on my sisters car years ago, before sending it to a local garage to get repainted. Owner came round and asked if I could help out doing some mot welding for a few weeks as they were really busy and he was impressed with what I had done.

been so busy Danny, that when my van went in for mot recently and needed a bit of welding, that I begrudgingly paid someone else! Couldn’t face it tbf, but wasn’t a stupid amount. As regards this thread, pees me off! I did some welding as a diyer on my sisters car years ago, before sending it to a local garage to get repainted. Owner came round and asked if I could help out doing some mot welding for a few weeks as they were really busy and he was impressed with what I had done.
These threads are the worst part of the forum, you’d think you’d want to encourage folks to come on and ask questions. Imagine someone wanting a big job doing and goes through a few threads before posting, they won’t post. Honestly can’t get my head round it.

a panel beater
a roofer
a demolition company
a window fitter
a full time plasterer
a shed builder
an auto electrician
a domestic electrician
a plumber
a kitchen fitter

I have a go at everything houses apart from gas and the electric distribution board/consumer unit thingy