First Proper reskim - advice needed

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikpo79

Ive been working for a builderr for the past 6 years and have been taught how to plaster on the job by one of the old boys (who was self taught). Therefore never had any proper training, nor do i know much of the correct terminoligy that you all use on here, but I can easily plaster to a good standard. The majority of our work is straight onto plasterboard which is admittedly starghtforward.

I've done a bit of plastering onto render, and understand that its all about how you control the suction, but evryone has their slightly different way of doing it, and am confident when doing this that I can get a good finish.

Work has gone a bit quiet and I have managed to land myself a job of reskimming a 3 bed house from top to bottom. All of the walls & celings are covered in textured paint. I've read up alot about this kind of work and am just after some advice on the best way to go about it as there are many conflicting views.

PVA
1. What ratio is best to mix & apply this?
2. Do I need to PVA the night before, then let it dry & then re-PVA the day of the skim and plaster when tacky? or is just 1 coat of PVA on teh day of the skim ok?

Walls
1. Do I need to screw the celing boards forst to make sure they are secure?
2. Scrape off the high spots then 2 coats of multi finish or Bonding coat then 2 coat multi?
3. If bonding, would you recommend taking the skirting & Archatrive off?

Any help that you can give is greatly appreciated.

I have priced to skim ceilings & walls throughout the house. All rooms are a manageable size and can easily be done on my own. Ive allowed 2 weeks to do it.

Ive been working for a builderr for the past 6 years and have been taught how to plaster on the job by one of the old boys (who was self taught). Therefore never had any proper training, nor do i know much of the correct terminoligy that you all use on here, but I can easily plaster to a good standard. The majority of our work is straight onto plasterboard which is admittedly starghtforward.

I've done a bit of plastering onto render, and understand that its all about how you control the suction, but evryone has their slightly different way of doing it, and am confident when doing this that I can get a good finish.

Work has gone a bit quiet and I have managed to land myself a job of reskimming a 3 bed house from top to bottom. All of the walls & celings are covered in textured paint. I've read up alot about this kind of work and am just after some advice on the best way to go about it as there are many conflicting views.

PVA
2. Do I need to PVA the night before, then let it dry & then re-PVA the day of the skim and plaster when tacky? or is just 1 coat of PVA on teh day of the skim ok?

Walls
2. Scrape off the high spots then 2 coats of multi finish or Bonding coat then 2 coat multi?

Any help that you can give is greatly appreciated.

where are u based

so you thought while work is quiet. i will go and steal some money off some plasterer?

PVA

Walls

Any help that you can give is greatly appreciated.[/

Alrite fella,

Right the best help i could give you is do not take the job on!
Sure enough as by your post you skim up a flat pb wall good on ya
But also by your post your telling me have no clue on suitable backgrounds for plastering onto,
You have no clue about mixxing pva properly and where to use it.

The key to reskim is your only as good as your prep work, dont mistake this for rudeness but do yourself and the customer a favour and pass it on.

Don't use PVA, use a bonding agent such as Thistle Bond-it instead. It will leave you with a perfect surface for skimming. Apply the day before and skim the next day. Good luck :)

2.06 in.....................:RpS_thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
As the others have said get a spared in with you what about the old guy? that showed you in the first place if its quite he mite need some work.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail is the motto when it comes to this type of work. I can appreciate why some of the replies here suggest that you pass this job on or get someone in to assist. Like most on here I have scimmed hundreds of houses like the one you describe and you will always get little surprises along the way. Do not underestimate the job in hand, if you decide to take it on best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.