First House, first full hit of plastering. Advice please ;)

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question u have to ask yourself what are u trying to achieve here, in terms of thermal value and needing a high impact area
i would avoid sand and cement as s&c has no thermal value whatsoever, although it is solid..however u will have to use s&c on the int/ext wall. Backing plaster in your case Hardwall, has decent thermal value and it is quite tough. Last option is plasterboard which has the highest thermal value and probably the easiest to skim on, but very hollow. But as your gaff is the old solid walls which are damp prone id use render/hardwall !!

Personally, i would not put a bag of hardwall any where near a damp issue. . you will just add to the problem.

tut tut and still no one mentions approved document L1b of the building regulations - Planning Portal - Approved Document L

I refer you to the above document, particularly section 5, paragraph 5.8

You can of course, choose to ignore the uk building regulations and any advice contained therein, or in fact any advice given on this forum, but for the want of solid walls - batten it, insulate it, vapour barrier... then board the whole thing with 3/4 ply then duplex (foil backed *) board (* not really needed if youve done the vapour barrier thing but better safe than sorry, specially with the ply) and finally, skim it.

or insulate externally...

or just render and skim it... but youll find batten, insualtion and board a heck of a lot easier..

and warmer.... especially with gas prices what they are...

and condensation (black mould) proof...

and you can hang a 600mm x 1800mm double rad, double convector on it no worries at all...

coving is easy btw...

back in yer box chris.... :rolleyes)

ya from darn sarf arnt you? my advice would be rag the coving off ffs, dot and dab it!! then skim it then put some new coving up. oh and changed the doors!!!!

its a handboard not a hawk pmsl:RpS_lol:

Personally, i would not put a bag of hardwall any where near a damp issue. . you will just add to the problem.

Understand that Mark, but if you look through the rest of this post you will see others recomend dot and dab? How so you dab the boards?? yes u got it.... a gypsum product such as dri-wall adhesive, meaning its kinda the same principal as hardwall????

But anyway to get technical about solid walls, Cement mortar is often harder than old bricks, cob or some types of stone, therefore when movement occurs it may damage these softer traditional construction materials. Hard cement mortar can trap moisture behind it causing damage to the structure and encourages ground water to rise up a SOLID WALL by capillary action. Trapped water in the wall can cause poor insulation, decay and crumbling. Even when used externally, you got to be careful there is no moisture present as the brick can be subject to frost damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.