first day with uni finsh

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

brimplas1

called in at travis this morning and saw they had half a pallet so thought i would give it a shot... had a small bathroom to re skim and was glad it was small at 7.75+vat which is an offer till April then 8.50+vat. cant say i was over impressed with it, i didnt want to get caught out so dampened down the walls i was skimming first , mixed up a bag or so and it mixes different to board and multi and when spreading it it doesnt have the body to it as i like a thickish mix, it did sh*t me up as it did dry quickly but comes back really well when you run a trowel . it stays wetter in the bucket longer than other skims, got a flat matt finish on it which is a bonus as i tend to over polish...... me bad. dint think i trust it to go straight on a dry wall as patched 2 areas where skim had come off and i hadnt damped down and it was soild in 5 mins.. anybody else using it yet ?

The plasterer on the radio ad likes it, reskimin a house in brooke street, walls are a right state.... Said jim down the merchants told him about It?.:RpS_unsure:

Says on the adverts and bags that it been approved by all of us so it must be good or are bg telling porkies tut tut!

i wouldnt say it was shite but it will really catch you out on the bag it gives you to method statements one for high suction and one for normal.......... and it states that if you start to apply and it crazies badly to stop straight away... so you are then stuck with a bucket of gear and are scraping it off the wall.. its madness, on the high suction instructions it says to apply 1st coat and then to apply 2nd coat from a fresh mix with in 15 mins of starting the 1st coat ... are you telling me i have time to apply the 1st coat, empty my bucket, wash my tools , mixer and ligger, and knock up a fresh mix in the 1st 15 minutes..... never mind flatten a wall that is drying at a rate of knots it also says walls will still need pre treating if the suction is high.... but how will you know the true suction of the wall if you dont pva it or damp it down?????? i will stick to multi

I haven't seen this stuff yet, I remember a couple of years ago they were advertising it on bags of multi but I didn't think they put it on sale yet. Unless merchants in Bristol don't want it on there shelf's :s

Judging by the reviews though I doubt I'm gonna touch it!

And your opinion of its shite is based on what?have you ever
used it?

No I just thought I'd make up a mindless comment for the sake of it! When you've used it on a reskim & 4 days later scraped it off as half of it has failed, I think I'm entitled to my opinion

Sounds like a lot of juggling and no peace of mind, glad the chances of it making it to the shores of the med are Slim to none.
I guess great for anyone looking for a challenge.
just put on another couple of walls if you wanna be dancing around like yer been tazered trying to keep control :)

I've used it and to be fair it was ok! I'm actually reskimming a flat this week and the flat downstairs I used Unifinish on end of last year and it's all still on the walls and ceilings lol it's been mentioned before on here I think it does have its place in the plastering trade, small jobs etc if you are tight for time etc to unibond before, in general though people will just stick to multi due to the price of it and the fact it's what we trust

tbh I haven't tried but id really like it to be a success,,,,

if it sat on the shelf at the side of multi @ wickes I would have tried by now over painted surfaces etc but whilst ever its a mission just to buy the gear never mind the price its never guna take off @british gypsum!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
just had a phone call off some fella, said he had his bedroom plastered last year and its all fell off,he said he lives on brooke st!

It's place for me is low suction,painted artex ceilings ect. I did a couple on Monday with some out of date bags and it was good, it does take more powder to thicken up than multi. I am do a heavy painted artex flat next week and gonna try magic mix with uni finish as I have just bought 25 bags for a £5 a bag so will keep you posted :)

No I just thought I'd make up a mindless comment for the sake of it! When you've used it on a reskim & 4 days later scraped it off as half of it has failed, I think I'm entitled to my opinion
So to answer my question u have not used the mark 2 ...only the mark 1,does grate on me when people slate things they not used ,4 different people in this post have used it and I can tell they have by the way they describe how it is to use,and in respect to the original post question the dude was asking for advice skimming over artex then u jump in start slating it cus of a mark one problem that u had.....a while ago olican did a unifinish video,used it and was ok with it then he had a problem on another wall and said he changed his mind from liking it,to he will not use it again,well that is fine to say because he was talking from experience he had (a bad experience he had).I fine with that.so yes everyone entitled to an opinion as long as that opinion is based on fact of use.

So to answer my question u have not used the mark 2 ...only the mark 1,does grate on me when people slate things they not used ,4 different people in this post have used it and I can tell they have by the way they describe how it is to use,and in respect to the original post question the dude was asking for advice skimming over artex then u jump in start slating it cus of a mark one problem that u had.....a while ago olican did a unifinish video,used it and was ok with it then he had a problem on another wall and said he changed his mind from liking it,to he will not use it again,well that is fine to say because he was talking from experience he had (a bad experience he had).I fine with that.so yes everyone entitled to an opinion as long as that opinion is based on fact of use.

Sorry I should have written the entire process I went through it was the mark 2 I used! But the walls were very porous, so maybe that was the problem. As for not describing the process I thought this was a plasterers forum, thought it might be insulting to some

I used the Knauf stuff the other day, thats was nice gear, it was a free bag from Ryan, may look into where i can it from, real nice

Status
Not open for further replies.