Firms tendering.

Members online

essexandy

The Lake Governor
So how many of you constantly get asked to price projects for firms that are tendering for the project themselves? In other words they're asking you to price work they don't have.
I priced up three projects for a firm a couple of years ago and didn't hear a word from them as to whether they'd won the work or not. Now I just tell them all that I'll happily work out a price once they've got the work to offer. Some literally can't believe my attitude.

So how many of you constantly get asked to price projects for firms that are tendering for the project themselves? In other words they're asking you to price work they don't have.
I priced up three projects for a firm a couple of years ago and didn't hear a word from them as to whether they'd won the work or not. Now I just tell them all that I'll happily work out a price once they've got the work to offer. Some literally can't believe my attitude.

You should be charging them mate.

Not the same but had a few bathroom fitters want quotes at a customers house that they haven’t even landed the job. I think it looks unprofessional as f**k tbh. Especially when they don’t even know you.

Seems to be new people trying to act like they’re professional. The pros know what it will cost as they do so many of em

Not the same but had a few bathroom fitters want quotes at a customers house that they haven’t even landed the job. I think it looks unprofessional as f**k tbh. Especially when they don’t even know you.

Seems to be new people trying to act like they’re professional. The pros know what it will cost as they do so many of em
Had a call yesterday from a company I'd never even heard of. These wankers want me to be their free quantity surveyor and estimating department. Well they can f**k right off.

Had a call yesterday from a company I'd never even heard of. These wankers want me to be their free quantity surveyor and estimating department. Well they can f**k right off.
That's the point.
Cheeky cuunts.
Firms pay surveyors to price larger projects.

Hate people thinking wasting your time is acceptable. Like we all just sit around relishing the opportunity to do maths homework for probably no gain.

I went to look at a job for a wanky builder . It was a big property all back to brick and new stud. They were going to board it all and we were just going to follow skimming. He wanted us to go through the whole thing with a tape and tell him material quantity he needed, boards beads etc.

And they’d already started so clearly he had that information anyway. What the f**k was that about?? Dominance? Testing me? Wanting his schoolwork double checked?

I walk onto a site like that and everyone’s already staring at me without someone taking the piss!

Hate people thinking wasting your time is acceptable. Like we all just sit around relishing the opportunity to do maths homework for probably no gain.

I went to look at a job for a wanky builder . It was a big property all back to brick and new stud. They were going to board it all and we were just going to follow skimming. He wanted us to go through the whole thing with a tape and tell him material quantity he needed, boards beads etc.

And they’d already started so clearly he had that information anyway. What the f**k was that about?? Dominance? Testing me? Wanting his schoolwork double checked?

I walk onto a site like that and everyone’s already staring at me without someone taking the piss!

Sounds like a prick. Should of told him you don’t need a tape measure to skim

Absolutely agree with you on that one young fella me lad, if they don’t like it they can f**k off as far as I’m concerned, luckily the people that use us know how we operate

Forgive me naivety, I'm really interested in this - is it like this all the time for plasterers specifically, or for all the grafters? Also, has it been the case recently, or has it been like this since age of mankind?

I get loads, some in the post,some just an email. One yesterday for an industrial site near York, big job 60-70 grand at a rough guesstimate, no bill of quants,no spec nothing. It would have taken me hours to work out, and scale off plans.

when we were contracting we have had bills of quantities from 3 different companies. for the same contract.
the large plastering firms run a cartel to discuss quotes given out to contracts, as they know only a few can carry out large contracts.

I get about one a month, through email, mainly from outfits down south doing refurbs in Edinburgh. Its not what im intrested in doing so I ignore them, but they start to pester you, in the end they call you. Should have done that at the start me thinks.

Forgive me naivety, I'm really interested in this - is it like this all the time for plasterers specifically, or for all the grafters? Also, has it been the case recently, or has it been like this since age of mankind?
I've only had this for about the last four or five years or so. Never used to get it, it's as if a joint decision was taken in the business community to expect trades to do their estimating for them. Some have gotten quite shirty when I've ignored emails, plans through the post or when I tell them I won't on the phone.

Blimey, that's a bit out of order!

Houses are being thrown up all over the place here, and the 'little' house-builders who are paying almost to the bone for trades are complaining they can't get the grafters in, as they are being lured to the big guys (redrow and so on), I was talking the other week to one of these little builders to see what the types of work were like, but their attitude stank - towards the trades, but also to the home buyers!

Quite frankly, if the builders can't even be bothered to be polite, they don't deserve the business - without the plasterers magic, all they have are holes in walls and dodgy bricklaying showing

Hurahh for plasterers!

I've only had this for about the last four or five years or so. Never used to get it, it's as if a joint decision was taken in the business community to expect trades to do their estimating for them. Some have gotten quite shirty when I've ignored emails, plans through the post or when I tell them I won't on the phone.

It’s lazy and also taking the piss,
Why should you do someone else’s job for them. As said I get loads some fairly big projects too that are complex to work out.
Quite often they will have a contractor in place for the project too they are just using you as a bench mark.

I think it’s just the next step forward after subbing everything out, in the mid nineties we complained about the s**t in an estate of new builds to be told we don’t employ anyone it’s not our rubbish, threatened to walk and it got cleared, it seems to me it’s just the next step on from not employing anyone on site to not working out prices just supplying the money to buy the land and sit at home letting others earn your money