Fireproof plasterboard

Members online

Mr potatoe head

Hi
im after some advice, I’ve had an extension on the side of are house which is a bedroom above a garage and a carport underneath. On the plans it states the steel beam has to have fire proof plaster board around it. However the builder dropped the ceiling down so the beam is above the ceilings.he has now put OSB board all the way through the beam is above. My question is instead of removing the OSB board can I put the fireproof plasterboard on top and will this still be as fireproof. i also want to put upvc plastic on the ceiling in the carport.

Last edited:
Hi
im after some advice, I’ve had an extension on the side of are house which is a bedroom above a garage and a carport underneath. On the plans it states the steel beam has to have fire proof plaster board around it. However the builder dropped the ceiling down so the beam is above the ceilings.he has now put OSB board all the way through the beam is above. My question is instead of removing the OSB board can I put the fireproof plasterboard on top and will this still be as fireproofEd.
What did building control say

mr potato head GIF

That OSB should burn nicely under the steel and help it deform and collapse the house quite quickly really.
If that does'nt answer your question you'd better ask the Building Control.

Some of the specs on fire breaks will require double boarding with fire boards.
Plus if building control is involved and actually visited the site I cannot see any scenario where they haven't told you to take the OSB down and, tell you or the builder exactly how to do it correctly.

Well he doesn’t know does he! Wasn’t talking to you, go sit back down in your armchair!

Did you see that DIY SOS the other night, with the couple who'd paid a builder to build a 2-storey extension, and he'd screwed them over badly?

Did't use a lintel over ANY of the doorways, windows, etc., and played dumb and implied it was an innocent misunderstanding with the customer when questioned about it. Absolute arsehole. Literally could've killed one or more family members if it had collapsed on them.