Fireplace

Staff online

Members online

Kev c

How would one go about getting that tight inner edge on the fireplace seen in the 2nd picture? To skim the chinmey breast but leave the internal fireplace walls as brick

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 462
  • fireplace1.png
    fireplace1.png
    356.6 KB · Views: 471
So bond over , then skim upto a timber edge , then remove timber. A stop bead would still be visible , but would be the next best option

So bond over , then skim upto a timber edge , then remove timber. A stop bead would still be visible , but would be the next best option

i don't know what 'bond over ' is .
fit a timber rule all around the opening, float brick work in thistle hardwall, skim same day with thistle multi finish.

The second picture, the look your trying to achieve isn’t brick work it’s brick slips stuck onto cement board, you dot and dab these into your opening project them out enough to sit level with your finished face, bond/hardwall out the face of the chimney, angle bead onto the edge of the board then tile upto the edge. The last few I did they supplied a magnetic metal strip that covered your front exposed edge

Don’t use beads, slide timbers away when finished. You could also use an external corner trowel to touch up at the very end.

@Tinytom - How do you get on with pointing all those titchy slips - do you use a pointing gun?

we fitted brick slips to some blocks of flats in London. it was the finish to EWI system.
the adhesive to fix the brick slips was then brushed with a half inch paint brush to finish the pointing. the pointing just covered the back edge of the brick slips. this was the method that i was taught in the Netherlands.