Fireplace with log burner installed

Hi all.

need some advice on a little job I had come through. Customer had a plasterer come and plaster her fireplace ( log burner in place) their are some cracks inside where he skimmed with multi and he attached a plastic flex bead on the top inside area, he apparently realised his mistake from what I heard from customer.

the bead is now sagging and has come loose so I was going to take that off and use a stop bead to tidy that up, Iam planning on using proper fire board on the side walls and rear wall/ silicone edges with the recommended product and use their adhesive to dot boards on. Was thinking she can then just paint the boards with the correct fire protective paint etc would this be ok? Usually I’d just render the inside of these fireplaces.

also where the stop bead will be attached what product can I use to feather that in? As multi will just crack?
Many thanks
 

malc

TPF Special Forces
also where the stop bead will be attached what product can I use to feather that in? As multi will just crack?
Many thanks

stop bead will just expand and crack with the heat.
fire board won't last very long. you will be better off leaving that job to someone else.
 
Found some victas heat resistant filler online, going to use that on the cracks and top section. Will explain to the customer there’s no guarantees as never used it before. Luckily I know them personally so will work out. Thanks
 

Brimstone

Well-Known Member
BG website states fireboard will fail over time and explains why. All gypsum based products will fail for same reason, but not a fast as a melting plastic bead.. Use Cement board see other thread about fireplace and Feed's method.
 

loky11

Well-Known Member
Which numpty would skim inside a chimney breast where a log burner is getting fitted, should of been cement boarded or rendered.
 
Use ewi mesh in whatever you use. I used it in standard sand and cement in my own house as an experiment and no cracks 4 yrs later. I use it on front of breasts too.
Thanks. I used fire cement to fill cracks and took the loose bead off and made good. Ended up ok, apparently they used normal emulsion to paint the inside
 
Top