Finishing lime plaster

Members online

Jrowso

How does everyone else finish there lime plastering wooden float? Sponge? Or Steel trowel?

Jrowso

I steel troweled that in today but wondered if anyone has different methods that are more effective.

Danny

Administrator
looks lovely that :D

I unfortunately dont know enough about lime :-\

Jrowso

Thank you, appreciate compliments coming from another tradesman means alot more.

The Hobo

I steel troweled that in today but wondered if anyone has different methods that are more effective.
flat walls steel/ old castle type walls wood float backing coat sometimes with a sponge finish no skim coat/a lot depends on what your trying to match /hope. that helps

Jrowso

Thank you for your input I will try a wooden float next time and see how it comes out.

I will look on ebay for one to add to the collection of trowels. how have you found lime fairs in fireplaces where the stove is quite near to the walls?

The Hobo

I will look on ebay for one to add to the collection of trowels. how have you found lime fairs in fireplaces where the stove is quite near to the walls?
hot lime mix seems ok around it / that's not a joke it does work better

Depends what type of building I’m working on, sometimes it’s a float finish then sponged off and other times a steel trowel, like I said depends what type of building I’m working on and lime spec.

Tinytom

@Tinytom - whats your opinion on how close that (wood?) carved beam at the back is to the stovepipe?
It’s hard to tell from the picture mate, the thing to do is cut some cement board to the dimensions of the inside face then screw it to the beam but space it off about 12mm with bits of copper cut to length and used as washers

@Tinytom - Yeah agree, but I've tried that with the copper tube and fecked it up, all different lengths! Now I use a load of nuts on a screw, about 4 usually does it. Or I cut and mastic or rivet some short 12mm stop bead lengths onto the back.