Finding joist when over-boarding?

I go up stairs pull carpet up then floor boards then put a holes in ceiling look like a f**k war zone
Sounds a lot of effort that one. I just lightly hit the ceiling/wall to feel where the joist are, mark then snap a line across. If I’m unsure I’ll put a hole either side of the joist to gain the centre. I’ve tried joist finders before because I hate the dust but they get a bit lost on thick lath ceilings. Has anyone had any luck with newer models?

Sounds a lot of effort that one. I just lightly hit the ceiling/wall to feel where the joist are, mark then snap a line across. If I’m unsure I’ll put a hole either side of the joist to gain the centre. I’ve tried joist finders before because I hate the dust but they get a bit lost on thick lath ceilings. Has anyone had any luck with newer models?
Yes and put in the bin

@Lodan just looks at the ceiling and knows exactly where they are he boarded so many :-h

Method one, least messy. Rare earth magnet. Locate nail theres your joist

Method 2 . Hammer . Once you got the first one you're away, every 40cm usually.

Never assume the joists are straight. Find them each side as run a chalk line if your new to it.

Some joists are bananad or split half way. Banana split
Mmmmmm

I go up stairs pull carpet up then floor boards then put a holes in ceiling look like a f**k war zone
Done that once, the whole ceiling came down with one swing of the hammer! Luckily the customer had just left the room

Hammer, hole either side of joist then measure with hammer, usually just a bit more than the length of the hammer apart

Yes but i am f**k**g mad c**t

Yes, it's a brilliant bit of kit. It will find joists, pipes, cables, reinforcing bar in concrete, wall ties etc etc tells you the depth and it's not failed to identify once since I've had it. I even used it to find the ends of joists from the outside in a solid 11" gable wall. OK it's a bit dear, but the time and money it saves is well worth it (to me anyway). Bosch wall scanner.

Lathe hammer and bucket 10 mins and you have a visual on the joist, chalk line and away you go

Yes, it's a brilliant bit of kit. It will find joists, pipes, cables, reinforcing bar in concrete, wall ties etc etc tells you the depth and it's not failed to identify once since I've had it. I even used it to find the ends of joists from the outside in a solid 11" gable wall. OK it's a bit dear, but the time and money it saves is well worth it (to me anyway). Looks like the nuts but a bit pricey for me. Bosch wall scanner.

Yes, it's a brilliant bit of kit. It will find joists, pipes, cables, reinforcing bar in concrete, wall ties etc etc tells you the depth and it's not failed to identify once since I've had it. I even used it to find the ends of joists from the outside in a solid 11" gable wall. OK it's a bit dear, but the time and money it saves is well worth it (to me anyway). Bosch wall scanner.

Looks the nuts but a bit pricey for me.

We have just overboarded two ceilings with run in cornice,joists were six inches away from the cornice builder told us to screw into the lath close to the cornice.

Punch holes and mark centre of joist. I use 3m wood baton to mark positions to transfer to other side of room and to mark boards with guide lines. If you can find location with baton then a small drill either side to confirm center of joist is less mess than hammer. Horrible messy and dusty job

@Lodan just looks at the ceiling and knows exactly where they are he boarded so many :-h

Method one, least messy. Rare earth magnet. Locate nail theres your joist

Method 2 . Hammer . Once you got the first one you're away, every 40cm usually.

Never assume the joists are straight. Find them each side as run a chalk line if your new to it.

Some joists are bananad or split half way. Banana split
Mmmmmm

Took words out of my mouth. But of all fails, get the hammer out.