Filling a chase - advice

Members online

albion

I've been been asked to fill a small chase in a kitchen by a customer and as a decorator rather than a plasterer its not something I've done before so would appreciate any advice. It's an external wall and they've used an oval PVC capping. Since it's not that deep, do I need to bother with bonding/render or can I just go over it with Easy-fill or even powdered filler? I want whatever I use to 'key' properly to the plastic. I've attached a photo.

Attachments

• chase.jpg
    chase.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 2,438
If you don't want to buy too much as your not usually plastering try a small tub of bonding agent from wickes to provide a key on the pvc then a powdered filler such as toupret to fill.

Don’t you just love it when someone asks for advice and there’s not a Please or thank you in sight! Pfft! It’s a bit like not getting offered a cup of tea while your grafting your nuts off all day.

If you don't want to buy too much as your not usually plastering try a small tub of bonding agent from wickes to provide a key on the pvc then a powdered filler such as toupret to fill.
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of sticking self-adhesive scrip tape to it but I'll get hold of some of the bonding agent your recommended.

Don’t you just love it when someone asks for advice and there’s not a Please or thank you in sight! Pfft! It’s a bit like not getting offered a cup of tea while your grafting your nuts off all day.
I did say that I'd 'appreciate some advice', but if my initial post sounded impolite then it certainly wasn't my intention.

Bond it flush . It will shrink back just enough for you to sit a nice sliver of skim on .
Scrape it back . That's what lad does when he.s put to much on

Bonding then skim as above.. although if you aren't comfortable skimming it maybe Bonding then when set top off with easi fil, as you'd probably have to rub down and fill the skim anyway. Believe it or not, chases aren't the easiest things to get right, you only have to find a sparks to see how much someone can f**k them up.

You can get one coat which is like a bonding and skim in one but you may still have to use filler as feathering properly can be difficult if you’re not used to plastering.
100% feathers out to nothing , you can lay on thick as hell and doesn’t shrink or crack. Don’t even pva the brick or block just a splash of water and go away for a hr then trowel with a flick of water easy peasy lemon squeezy

100% feathers out to nothing , you can lay on thick as hell and doesn’t shrink or crack. Don’t even pva the brick or block just a splash of water and go away for a hr then trowel with a flick of water easy peasy lemon squeezy
I’ve just it once before when I lost my mind d and took a job doing a trillion chases. It was fine but found it had a kind of gritty feel to it. It did feather fine but prefer bonding and skim. I’d use it again though for chases. I meant anyone could have a problem feathering if they were giving any finish a go and weren’t an actual plasterer (y)

I’ve just it once before when I lost my mind d and took a job doing a trillion chases. It was fine but found it had a kind of gritty feel to it. It did feather fine but prefer bonding and skim. I’d use it again though for chases. I meant anyone could have a problem feathering if they were giving any finish a go and weren’t an actual plasterer (y)

If they ain’t a spread one coat is perfect . If they are then skim the wall. It’s 3hrs for just the chase or the whole wall ain’t it? Including a pint at half time. I recon pva bonding and skim is too much b*gering about for one chase. I had that same trillion chase job from a sparky mate of mine. Bloody sparkys!!!!

Thanks very much for all the replies! Sounds like bonding or one-coat plaster is the way to go for the first fill . Then I might skim over the top with powdered filler to save me having 2 bags of plaster left over. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks very much for all the replies! Sounds like bonding or one-coat plaster is the way to go for the first fill . Then I might skim over the top with powdered filler to save me having 2 bags of plaster left over. Will let you know how I get on.

Bonding then fine filler = invisible mend :)