Filled In Fire Place

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnathon

Hello All
Just after some advice, blocked up a fire place hole; dabbed recess then skimmed whole chimny breast wall, that was 15 months ago, lady called me back saying there was a damp patch over the area where the hole use to be and had appeared in a couple of weeks, she has said she had an issue with a drain that is close to the wall but having looked at it does'nt seem to have effected anywhere else, any advice on what may have caused it and best way to rectify it would be much appreciated

Yes mate , It helps the chimney to breathe (so to speak) and reduces the chances of this happening.

and hows he gonna cut through the block? good chance you start whacking it about that they will loosen up.

could drill several holes instead of cutting it out actually, like this...... o o o o o o o
o o o o o o
o o o o o o o

i know you probably knew what i meant but it was fun doing it.

steve cov said:
could drill several holes instead of cutting it out actually, like this...... o o o o o o o
o o o o o o
o o o o o o o

i know you probably knew what i meant but it was fun doing it.

Lol I like to drill holes too ;)

Or you could go in and t**t it with a hammer that should leave some nice holes. Plus im sure the customers face would be very interesting indeed

Johnathon said:
Thanks for replies will sort it out for her as she has been really good with referals, cheers again

just to let you know mate you dont have to put the vent over the damp spot if it is inconvenient, all the vent dose is lets the air circulate to expel moisture, so you can put it on the side of the breast out of view ;)

Cheers Mate
Yes did think of that but not sure if its possible on side due to thickness of wall but will check it out, cheers

Johnathon said:
Cheers Mate
Yes did think of that but not sure if its possible on side due to thickness of wall but will check it out, cheers

if you are worried about the thickness, all you have to do is...
1. hold vent in position and draw around it with pencil, then take vent away
2. get a long drill bit and drill lots of little holes inside the box you have drawn, make sure you break into chimney shaft
3. fit vent over the holes

now i would say that this problem was caused by you mate so it would be unfair to charge the customer for labour but i would ask for money for the materials. this job should take about half an hour.

hope this helps mate ;)

Johnathon said:
Cheers for replies forgot to mention chimny was capped, would I still need to fit a vent
the point of the vent at the bottom even though youve capped the top (hopefully with a vented cowl, not a lump of concrete) is to encourage airflow through the flue...
what this does is stop condensation (airborne water vapour landing on a cold surface like the inside of the chimney flue)
and seeing as most old chimneys dont contain a damp proof course or any cavity to the outside thats another good reason to get as much airflow as possible through it....
if you end up with a draught coming through the room e.g. through the door towards the vent then an idea might be to install an external vent (black hole or similar, also helps wiht the draw for a real fire) to an outside wall nearer to the chimney... that way the air will be drawn through this and up the chimney... means the draught wont go screaming past the old dears varicose veins whilst shes sat watching corrie.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.